little tankless's

Users who are viewing this thread

sixty7flh

Reaction score
I aquired some "small" 1.6 gpm vent free tankless water heaters.

I am now living here, but it is not what you would call "finished" living conditions! I am in northern indiana, still have no furnace! anyway, another story..

I was thinking about putting in two, ( i have two) tankless's.. one right at the shower. and one down in the bsmt to "temper" the water up to a hopefully high enough temp to get good heat in the shower PLUS then my fixtures, bath sink, kitchen sink might see 75 degree water compared to the now 50 ish...

the dilema... these are small... 1.6gpm and only 1/2 inch water in and out.. I think the end one supplying the shower will be fine, but to do the tempered one, I would be cutting into my 3/4, then reducing to go through the tank, then back to 3/4 till the fixtures.
I think I have seen some houses run on little lines ( cheaply), and it may just be a water saver, restrictor!? what do you think?

just looking at different options...

dan

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Are these gas? Even a small tankless can not possibly be ventless. How about sharing the make and model#

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tankless

They are probably "point of use heaters" for connection to sinks and lavatories.They have a special aerator which MUST be used if you intend to get ANY hot water out of them, and then it is usually a few needle sprays. You would get ZERO hot water for a shower unless you just let the water dribble onto your head.

sixty7flh

Reaction score
I found some info online

This unit is suitable for a Multiple Points of Use, for an entire home- with 2 1/2 bath. However, no more than one point of use at a time is recommended.

Recommended for incoming cold water temperature above 50°F, however it can take lower incoming temperatures down to 40°F by reducing water flowrate (control knob can be adjusted to less water flow).

This amazing instant water heater is designed for one point of use at a time and it can be connected to the existing hot water piping. It is ideal for small apartments, flats, hunting cabins and small homes as well as boats, sailboats, campers, RV’s and mobile homes.

Infinite applications can be found for the extraordinary Excel tankless water heater. Our customers also use them for washing stalls, horse trailers, de-icing cars in the winter, outdoor camping, RV´s, motels, small roadside restaurants and other situations where endless and economical water heating is required.

-------------------------------------------------------

yes they are vent free with the ODS. they only required the smaller 1/2 inch gas line compared to the 3/4 larger units. I wonder if they will produce enough hot water? I am NOT trying to get a luxury situation her with 10 gpm sprays and all! ( lol) just a decent hot shower I guess I could go see what my shower head puts out NOW? I figure if I use hot and cold, I should be able to get over 2 gpm which should be o.k.? but I figured I will need better temp than the most likely 50 degree IN to get hot water, as they state a 40 degree rise, o I figure 28-32!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would still like to see the manual or spec sheet. Who is it made by?

I am not buying the "vent free" and I suspect your code and inspector will not buy that either.

And I would like to see the GPM rating for 90º rise. That will tell you if you can actually take a shower!

sixty7flh

Reaction score
I appreciate your responses!

really. That is why I got on here! I respect this site's opinions.....

I think the rate is only a 40 degree rise at 1.6 gpm. which is their max.
That is why I am thinking I better supply it with a better "tempered" water of 75 ish. I figure I need over 105 for a decent shower?

anyway, the question was.. if I have 3/4 supply's, and step DOWN to 1/2 to go through one of these at 1.6 GPM, ( the tempered one in the bsmt), then go back UP to 3/4 for a while, to only step down again right before the 2nd tankless and then fixture, do you think that restriction back at the beggining
will affect the flow to an unsuitable supply? I think my PSI is at 55ish? It seems I saw some entire houses or trailers or something in the past with like 1/2 and 3/8 lines? I know that is sub standard, but maybe this will work for me till I get lotsa money!? I think I have all the stuff for that system I descrbed, like reducers, pipe, htrs, everything cept maybe I should do dielectrics if it will be copper to the htrs? again.. thanx for any input!

dan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks