Linear Drain - My shower drain pipe comes up at an angle

Users who are viewing this thread

sagrr

Reaction score
I'm trying to install a 48" Schluter Linear drain to my newly built shower. I had a concern previously that the pipe come up was not perpendicular to the floor due to the grade that I added to the arm. I was advised to kind of press back some degrees while gluing it, but I'm still not level to the floor. Here's a sophisticated virtual reality 3D visualization of the issue.

The way I will install it is by using this provided mechanical coupling. I have access to the below floor since I have not finished closing up the floor yet.

I'm worried that the drain will not stay level after tightening the bolts on the coupling - or worse - the PVC cracking from the pressure, or the drain cracking out of the mortar.

Are these legitimate concerns? Anyone have any ideas or tricks to avoid any problems?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is your p-trap nearly tight to the drain outlet? If not, how much of a riser is there? With a couple of 1/8th or 1/16th bends, you can tweak the riser to be plumb, either in the riser, or in the trap arm.

FWIW, the coupling they provide is code compliant IF you're installing things in a slab and you fill in the hole...it is not compliant when installed above grade where it should have a banded coupling. While that one may work, and will compensate for a slight offset, code wants the banded coupling to keep the pipes properly aligned when you can't burry it, which when done properly holds things in place and keeps things aligned.

sagrr

Reaction score
Is your p-trap nearly tight to the drain outlet? If not, how much of a riser is there? With a couple of 1/8th or 1/16th bends, you can tweak the riser to be plumb, either in the riser, or in the trap arm.

FWIW, the coupling they provide is code compliant IF you're installing things in a slab and you fill in the hole...it is not compliant when installed above grade where it should have a banded coupling. While that one may work, and will compensate for a slight offset, code wants the banded coupling to keep the pipes properly aligned when you can't burry it, which when done properly holds things in place and keeps things aligned.

Do you mean coupling fittings? There's no space for that, I'm sure.

And then for the second part, do you mean the couplings with the metallic shield? I have one of those that I could use...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks