Linear drain for shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy in DC

Reaction score
Hi, I think to install a linear shower drain. I've spent too much time on selection the right one (app. 40 inch). Based on your experience, what manufacturing company/ model would you recommend? There are so many - expensive such as Watermark or California Faucet (special orders) or just buy from Home Depot or online. Maybe I think about it too much? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You really need to consider what type of waterproofing you are going to use in your shower as that can point towards using a particular drain. not all are compatible with a liner and a clamping ring. More of them are designed for a surface applied sheet membrane (such as Kerdi, or Hydroban sheet, or Noble). Personally, I'd seriously look into using a sheet membrane for waterproofing as it makes the thing somewhat simpler in the pan...only one layer of mud needed.

Often, the drain is sold as two parts: the base and the grate or cover. Often, your least expensive cover is one designed to use tile verses a metal one. One reason why the grates and drains are expensive is it's tricky to get something that long, relatively light-weight that is nice and straight without warps, bends, or curves.

If you haven't looked at a sheet membrane, check out the videos from www.schluter.com. They have the most. The other, similar products are just that, similar, so those will give you a good idea of the technique.

Having the entire interior of a shower waterproof verses just the pan has some significant advantages IMHO. Neither tile nor grout is the waterproofing in a shower. It should not leak, if used, before the tile is installed. Making it waterproof also means it dries out quicker, making it harder for mildew to form.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks