Lights won't turn off, sometimes if switch is halfway

Users who are viewing this thread

awindram

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if my problem is most likely at the switch (which I can replace myself) or something more complicated (in which case I would call a pro).

Here are the facts:

1. House is only 3 years old, no electrical problems for first 6 months, everything worked properly.

2. 6 months after moving in multiple light bulbs burnt over the course of a month. Concerned that we are having surges I had a pro check things out . He determined that the installer had just used really crappy cheap bulbs and even some "pre-owned" bulbs in most of the fixtures. No problems with surges found.

3. 12 months after moving in one group of overhead can lights will only switch off if the switch is in the halfway position. This group of lights is controlled by 3 switches. (That would make them 4-way switches if I understand correctly, right?) Didn't call pro. Have just lived with it.

4. 24 months after moving in. Another overhead light will now only turn off by putting switch in halfway position. Two switches control this one overhead light. (So they are 3-way switches, right?) Didn't call pro.

5. Today (36 months after moving in) the two overhead lights in the mudroom will not turn off at all. For a few months prior, they were doing the "halfway switch to turn off" thing.

6. No electrical changes have been at all.

Being a layperson, my best guess is that our electrician used crappy switches (like the bulbs) and they are all starting to short. Is this a valid theory? What other possibilities should I consider?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro, but I agree with your assessment. Those switch failures seems really odd, but I can't think of a better explanation.

In each case, the failure could be from a single switch of a set, but you might as well change them all. You might want to consider a lighted switch in some cases, such as having a light that dimly glows if the switch is off. That helps find the switch in the dark.

You could consider replacing one of the switches in #4 and/or one end-of-line switch in #3 with a 3-way dimmer. Get one rated for LEDs, and replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Is it only ONE switch that works in the halfway position, since it would stretch credibility if ALL 3 and 4 way switches were malfunctioning the same way. And HOW did he determine they were "used" bulbs after they were used for 6 months?

Stuff

Reaction score
Yes, it sounds like crappy switches. May just be a bad batch that he found on eBay? Most switches last for decades without issue. Do any of of these have a dimmer feature?

Other possibility is that someone is abusing the switches by pushing, pulling, twisting, etc. For that sort of thing you can buy commercial and even industrial grade switches. At a minimum you will see that they have the thicker handle.

fyi - The three switches controlling one set of lights would normally consist of two 3-way switches with a 4-way in the middle.

Also - How have your receptacles been? It is a much more common complaint that they break or won't hold a plug.

Reach4

Reaction score
A short between two hots anywhere in the path between switches would cause that symptom. The short could be in one of the switches, or it could be in the connections. Maybe the wires are stripped too much and rubbing together.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What other possibilities should I consider?

Did you replace the bulbs with the same type ? Voltage/Wattage.

Is that a Low Voltage system ?

I would not rule out incorrect wiring, And you hit the magic switch combination.

awindram

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the affirmation. I replaced all of the switches and everything works now!

The strange thing was- I switched the breaker back on and tested the lights after every switch replacement. In each of the three circuits the problem didn't go away until I replaced the last switch. So either I just have really bad luck in that I randomly ended up replacing the "bad" switch last (all 3 times), OR, all of the switches were bad on those three circuits. If the latter, then there must be something else weird going on that shorted all of the switches. I guess only time will tell if it happens again.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
So, what switches exactly were the ones you replaced? There will be a manufacturer name and model number
somewhere on each switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks