Lightning affecting a submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

iccdan

Reaction score
I'm working on a job involving a lightning damaged Grundfos 96168846 motor that was attached to a 12B60011 (85S150-11) pump. Both of these were installed in 2009. The well company replaced the motor and when they connected it to the old pump they said there was a problem with the connection of the motor shaft to the pump coupling. Something about the shaft height. The well company is saying the pump was damaged by the lightning and must be replaced. I'm having a really hard time believing this. Does anybody have input or stories regarding pumps being damaged by lightning? Thanks

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We always replace AND warranty the pump & motor as a unit. The pump cable too.

The bottom of a Grundfos motor will usually become convex after taking a lightning strike, sometimes the motor leads will burn off at the pigtail and I have seen Grundfos motors take on a very slight hourglass shape.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is rare for lightning to cause any damage to the pump end. I have seen where a hole was blown in the side of the pump, but that is rare. If there is no visible damage to the pump housing, the pump end should be fine. The stick up of the pump shaft would not have changed. I guess it is possible the splines on the pump coupling could have been damaged, but then they could just replace the coupling. Even on small pumps I only change the part that got hit by lightning, which is always just the motor end.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is rare for lightning to cause any damage to the pump end. I have seen where a hole was blown in the side of the pump, but that is rare. If there is no visible damage to the pump housing, the pump end should be fine. The stick up of the pump shaft would not have changed. I guess it is possible the splines on the pump coupling could have been damaged, but then they could just replace the coupling. Even on small pumps I only change the part that got hit by lightning, which is always just the motor end.

I don't recall ever seeing a wet end damaged from lightning.

When I was a kid we used to change out the motors & wire, now we change the entire unit and cable and warranty the pump for 5 years.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It has been my experience that lightning and cycling usually get the motor. The pump is normally still like brand new. In that case we would just change the motor. It is common for me to replace the motor 3 or 4 times on the same pump. Especially on 6" and larger pumps as those are usually bought as a separate pump and motor. I use to rebuild those larger Grundfos pumps. With a new shaft, a handful of wear rings, bushings, and impeller hubs you can make one of those like new for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks