Lighting a pilot

Users who are viewing this thread

CnJN

Reaction score
Decided today was the day to kick on the heat or so I thought. Gas is on, blower works, but the pilot light kicks on but doesn't stay lit.

Any suggestions?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It may take minute or so for the thermocouple to get warm enough to keep the gas on for the pilot. Since it has been off for months and a chilly day everything is cold.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The thermal couple needs to be warm for the gas to be on. I keep a flame going on it before I release the control and move it over to ON.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It doesn't make ANY DIFFERENCE how long the burner has been off. Once the pilot lights things warm up almost instantly.

It's true that unless you live in Fairbanks AK and it's the coldest night of the year the room temperature is barely moving the needle on how long it takes for the flame to be sensed.

The length of the thermocouple wire adds a time delay- almost instantly isn't exactly instantly. For those of us who aren't trying to light it in a -25F room, a count down from 10 would be enough for any, a count down from 5 would be ample for most. Flipping the valve as soon as you see the first flicker of blue is never enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks