light switch question

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
Not too long ago, I used you folks for a question on providing power to a light switch/fan, etc.

That is all worked out.

Previously this switch was on the outside of an enclosed shower.

Now I have blown out the shower and putting in a tub/shower combo with a shower curtain.

Should I put GFCI breakers in the box out of fear someone may be taking a shower and reach out of the curtain and turn on a light or fan?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
You could but it is not required. There is no imminent danger posed by the switches as long as they are properly installed and grounded.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how stupid you think people are, and how paranoid you are...

I would do it. But my favorite Einstein quote: "only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm still not sure about the first one." And I think Murphy was an optimist.

...the sane part of my brain keeps pointing out that they'd have to be really dripping wet to have any chance of getting electrocuted by flipping a switch.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't see how you could get electrocuted by a properly functioning light switch...maybe from the thing it is controlling, but not the switch itself.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
If this were a real issue, you would not be able to have a switch in a bathroom period, or near any sink for that matter.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
I don't see how you could get electrocuted by a properly functioning light switch...maybe from the thing it is controlling, but not the switch itself.

The more I think about it, the more I agree. On second thought, I would not bother.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
thanks.... i'll go with your advice....

If I haven't stated it before... electricity scares me a bit, because I still don't understand it...but I am learning

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks