Light Bulbs Failing Simultaneously

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
This has happened twice in the last week in two separate fixtures on two separate circuits. In one case 2 bulbs in a 2 bulb fixture "flashed" and burned out when the switch was turned on. In the other case 2 out of 4 bulbs "flashed" and burned out when the switch was turned on. In both cases, replacing the bulbs relieved the issue. It seems extremely unlikely that it is just the bulbs, but it is also hard to imagine that it is the switch. My best guess is some kind of voltage spike, but why would that happen when you turn the switch on?

Any ideas?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
but why would that happen when you turn the switch on?
Any ideas?

That is when a bulb will normally fail.

T-Storms can help.

Are all the bulbs from the same batch ? Made in USA ?

Are they wired to just one switch ? If so, The switch should not cause it.

Good Luck.

SAS

Reaction score
After a bit more homework, I discovered (perhaps not surprisingly) that most often when light bulbs fail they do so when first turned on. As I think about it, I can't remember ever having a burning bulb stop burning. It may be different with CFL's or LED's, but incandescent bulbs generally fail when they are first turned on.

It still seems odd that two fixtures within days of each other each had two bulbs go simultaneously. I know that the previous owner did some "unconventional" wiring, and I'm still wondering if there is anything in his wiring that might have caused the problem. For now, I guess I'll watch and wait. If it is a wiring problem, it will undoubtedly happen again. If not I'll just chalk it up to an odd coincidence.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
AFAIK there is no unconventional wiring that can cause a bulb to work most times but fail on start. For two bulbs to both go at the same time, either your incoming voltage was higher than usual or the bulbs suffered trauma from vibrations (f.e. kids running/jumping on the floor above).

When my two boys were still living at home I used to burn out a lot of bulbs due to vibrations until I discovered rough service bulbs.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest LED bulbs for the future.

DonL

Reaction score
May not hurt to check your voltage. Even LEDs can smoke if it is way off. And other stuff too.

What wattage are these bulbs ? Who made them ?

DonL

Reaction score
They may have been damaged on the slow boat trip.

Or a store stocker.

130V bulbs are nice if you can find them.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A loose connection could be an issue. The surge when you turn an incandescent on is often what does it in. Ever wonder why an older incandescent gets a darker haze on the globe? It's the tungsten filament bits that have boiled off and deposited themselves on the cooler glass...eventually, it gets quite thin and it's easier for that surge to snap it.

If you have a car headlight burn out...you might as well buy a pair, because they came from the same batch, and the second one will likely fail fairly soon. one of life's lessons learned.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Every loose connection I've ever seen resulted in lower voltage and I've never known lower voltage to burn out a bulb.
If this purportedly loose connection were so loose as to cause successive cold starts to prematurely burn out a bulb, then I think the OP would have mentioned it. I think Jim is not an EE.

DonL

Reaction score
If you keep a light On 24/7, it will last a lot longer.

Turning it off 24/7 works also.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A loose connection in the wiring can act the same as turning the lights on/off multiple times. Normally, you'd see this, but not necessarily. Incandescents typically fail when they are cold started - until the filament heats up (we're talking fast here, but it is measurable), the current level is higher since the resistance rises when it gets hotter. that higher current level can break a weakened, thinned filament of an older bulb.

When I was in the US Army, I worked on some equipment that had 28v emergency lighting circuits. The bulbs and fixtures looked identical to the more common 120v versions, and the bulbs easily screwed in...if you happened to put a 28v bulb in the 120v fixture...when you turned it on, you got one big bright flash. Do it the other way around, and it was like you lit a candle, but if you left it there, it would have lasted a very long time!

DonL

Reaction score
Years ago a 12V version was available, I had a drop light that clamped on a battery.

Them bulbs were used in RVs also.

2 light bulbs in series will last a long time, at half brightness.

A diode in series with the bulb works also.

DonL

Reaction score
There are 130V bulbs on the market for use where supply voltage may be on the high side.

In the day I bought them by the case.

Now you need to get them from a friend that works on traffic lights, or get them smuggled in.

If I was needing 60 watt, I would get ceiling fan bulbs, they are made for vibration, and have a Bigger/Stronger/longer filament, with better filament supports in the bulb. Most appliance bulbs do also, but most of them are 40 watt.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; If you keep a light On 24/7, it will last a lot longer

One in the Livermore fire station in CA has been burning continuously for 110 years. It was only turned off to move it to the new fire station a few years ago. If you have a light fixture that is hard to get to to change the bulb, use a 130v bulb.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a light fixture that is hard to get to to change the bulb, use a 130v bulb.

That is vintage advice, but one that I expect you will revise after you think about it -- unless you know of a "13o volt" LED bulb.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks