Lifting Cast Iron Sink - Ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

C317414

Reaction score
Hello,

We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel, and are installing a heavy cast iron, under-mount sink. I already installed the mounting/support for the sink, and the next step is to place the sink in the cabinet. There is not much space between the cabinet and the sink rim, so holding it by the rim will not work. I was thinking of placing a a 2x4 under the sink and running straps around it and through the drain holes. The straps would run around another 2x4 above the sink, that can be used as a lifting handle.

Do any of you have any other ideas, or suggestions on how to lift and lower the sink in place?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Your idea sounds good to me. The wood above the counter will bear more stress due to the longer span between supports.

While you are at it, will you have a disposal? Make sure the trap adapter at the wall is low enough. Your undermount sink will lower the disposal output.

Better to find out now.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also a scissors car jack could be useful for lifting a disposal, and maybe even the sink, with a piece of wood on the jack up to the sink, once you have enough height. That could be useful to add a second point of lift to hold the sink in place flat.

C317414

Reaction score
Your idea sounds good to me. The wood above the counter will bear more stress due to the longer span between supports.

While you are at it, will you have a disposal? Make sure the trap adapter at the wall is low enough. Your undermount sink will lower the disposal output.

Better to find out now.
Thanks I had checked it before with the sink drawing dimensions, but I went ahead and double checked it after I read your post. The trap adapter is low enough.

C317414

Reaction score
Also a scissors car jack could be useful for lifting a disposal, and maybe even the sink, with a piece of wood on the jack up to the sink, once you have enough height. That could be useful to add a second point of lift to hold the sink in place flat.
The sink needs to come in from the top, so the flange can lay on top of the frame I installed, so a bottle jack won't help.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would lay a 2x4 that extends past the sink on both ends on top of the sink then loop rope through the drain holes and secure it to the 2x4. Two people can lift it and set it in place. I would have previously mounted the faucet to the sink.

C317414

Reaction score
I would lay a 2x4 that extends past the sink on both ends on top of the sink then loop rope through the drain holes and secure it to the 2x4. Two people can lift it and set it in place. I would have previously mounted the faucet to the sink.
Thanks. That's pretty much what I'm doing, except that I'm using cargo straps instead of rope. The faucet will go in a hole on the quartz countertop, so it will have to wait.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Screw a 2x4 into three or four trusses/ floor joist (4" deck screws) and a 3/8 eye hook into the 2x4 with a come a long and a strap pick the sink up. Then can fill the small holes in ceiling.

C317414

Reaction score
Thanks all for your ideas. I ended up applying my original idea, and was able to lift and lower the sink in place with my wife's help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks