Lift pump

Users who are viewing this thread

sixkilo

Reaction score
I have been pumping water from my well head for 28 years via 1 hp convertible jet with injector installed on the pump housing( Aermotor 1 hp). My idea is to replace the 1 hp with injector installed like it has been before on the nose of pump. It lifts from the well head which is 25Ft lower and 250ft away 1 1/4 inch single line. The well has a 1 1/2 hp submersible. The well is 320' deep. Do not know water height. This will be my 3rd lift pump. One was destroyed by neighbors (shared well) error and the other one just wore out. I can either get pumps with injector (online supply house, cheaper but unsure of quality) which are easy to find, or a Gould or Sta-rite without. If i choose the latter where can I find matching injector? My efforts to locate them is proving futile. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a well with a submersible pump. That fills a cistern located near the well.

You use a convertible jet pump, set up as a shallow well jet pump, to provide pressure from the cistern to the house, and you are looking for a new jet pump.

Is that an accurate reading?

Why not have the submersible pump provide the pressure to the house, and eliminate using the cistern?

sixkilo

Reaction score
The well does not have a cistern. My neighbors house supplies power to submersible. She has a pressure tank for her needs as well. At my house the pressure is inadequate. Thus I have the lift pump and a pressure tank as well. It works. My real question is locating the injector for a better grade pump like Goulds.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You don't have a "lift" pump, you have a booster pump. You should not be using a deep well jet but instead need a shallow well jet pump. A jet pump with the ejector attached right to the pump is called a convertible pump, and will work as a booster. In Goulds a shallow well pump would be a J7S or J10S.

Bannerman

Reaction score
A submersible well pump will be typically controlled by a pressure switch that is usually located close to that pump's pressure tank. From your description, it sounds as though the well pump's pressure tank maybe located in your neighbor's basement.

If her pressure switch is controlling the well pump operation, is your booster pump then drawing water from the neighbor's pressure tank whenever the well pump is not operating when you are using water?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Not factoring in how the two pumps with their pressure switches interact, if you need more pumping capacity, a multi-stage pump might be a better choice than trying to eek out more volume/pressure with a jet pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not factoring in how the two pumps with their pressure switches interact, if you need more pumping capacity, a multi-stage pump might be a better choice than trying to eek out more volume/pressure with a jet pump.
I am thinking a check valve on the input to the pressure pump would be needed to prevent interaction.
I think I would consider a vacuum+pressure gauge before the check valve. Winters Instruments PCT330 (30"Hg-0-60 PSI) or PCT329 (30"Hg-0-30 PSI)
Those have big dials.

pressure-gauge-winters.jpg

or Winters PFQ791 2-1/2" Stainless Steel Liquid Filled Gauge, 1/4" Bottom NPT w/ Brass Internals (30"Hg-0-100 PSI). Liquid filled gauges are supposed to be more reliable.

The "30 Hg" indicates that the gauge shows pressures below zero (vacuums), which is entirely possible, I think.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I am thinking a check valve on the input to the pressure pump would be needed to prevent interaction.
Not sure why you quoted me since you did not heed my comment of "Not factoring in how the two pumps with their pressure switches interact"?

Reach4

Reaction score
Not sure why you quoted me since you did not heed my comment of "Not factoring in how the two pumps with their pressure switches interact"?
I was trying to build on the interaction concern. The check valve should prevent interaction, don't you think?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is not uncommon to boost from a well pump system. Very little difference in boosting city water pressure. You can actually add the incoming pressure from the well pump to what the booster pump can do, so a jet pump works fine. With 20-30 coming in from the well pump, it adds 20-30 PSI to what a jet pump can do. You just don't want to boost more volume than the well pump can supply. You do need a check valve, preferably on the suction line of the booster pump. You should also have a Cycle Sensor or at least a low pressure cut off switch to keep the booster from running if the well pump stops supplying water.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The check valve should prevent interaction, don't you think?
No. When the well pump is filling the neighbor's tank, it could also be filling the OP's tank (depending on elevation/pressure difference) so there may still be detrimental interaction. Anyway... that is a rabbit hole I don't want to go down.

Reach4

Reaction score
When the well pump is filling the neighbor's tank, it could also be filling the OP's tank (depending on elevation/pressure difference)
That sounds desirable to me. I don't see a negative interaction for that scenario.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks