Lifespan of Centaur catalytic carbon, test kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
How long does Centaur catalytic carbon last? I know, lots of variables. Mine is 6 years old, 1.5cu ft. I think I am barely starting to smell chloramine.

What is a good test kit to pick up the (presumably) low levels present after the carbon filter? I'm not sure if this is a job for test strips, but I am reluctant to spend lots on the kit. Maybe I should just put that money into new carbon, tube and a heavy duty bottom screen to re-bed the filter.

Reach4

Reaction score
Please tell us your conclusions as you continue your search and tests. Here are some things that you might find useful:

http://www.lamotte.com/en/drinking-water/test-strips/2963lr-g.html total chlorine (maybe what you need)
http://www.lamotte.com/en/water-wastewater/test-strips/2964-g.html free chlorine
http://www.lamotte.com/en/education/water-monitoring/3027.html tests both total and free.

Check the extra "Testing procedure for identifying .." info on the use of LaMotte 3027-G on this web site: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/insta-test-free-total-chlorine-strips-lamotte.html Very interesting brief write-ups I think.

As to how long CC lasts, I don't know. I remember hearing about 8 years in the iron+sulfur treatment in non-chlorinated water usage that I have.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It is typically recommended that carbon beds be replaced no less than every 5 years regardless of gallons... this is only a recommendation. Carbon should not be in long enough to start bypassing chlorine or chloramine, that would mean you are way past its ability to function. The only test we have been recommending for chloramine tesing is the Lamotte Spin Touch but these are in excess of $700 test kits. It has proven to a fairly accurate test for chloramine. Chloramine testing is more of a classroom seminar session rather than a DIY forum topic due to the complexities and algorithms that are used to determine chloramine level estimates... In general if you are detecting any chlorine, your carbon is long past its chloramine reduction capabilities.

Lifespeed

Reaction score
It is typically recommended that carbon beds be replaced no less than every 5 years regardless of gallons... this is only a recommendation. Carbon should not be in long enough to start bypassing chlorine or chloramine, that would mean you are way past its ability to function. The only test we have been recommending for chloramine tesing is the Lamotte Spin Touch but these are in excess of $700 test kits. It has proven to a fairly accurate test for chloramine. Chloramine testing is more of a classroom seminar session rather than a DIY forum topic due to the complexities and algorithms that are used to determine chloramine level estimates... In general if you are detecting any chlorine, your carbon is long past its chloramine reduction capabilities.

I guess I should put the $$ into re-bedding the filter, sounds like not much point in trying to test for chloramine break through given the price.

Could I impose on you for the part number of the heavy-duty bottom screen you recommend? Also I may as well replace the 1" tube and adapter (7000SXT in a 10" X 54" tank) with the 30mm(?) tube while I'm in there. I think that means I just remove the reducer where the 1" tube slides into the valve.

Is 1.5cu ft of Centaur still the way to go? Any reason to touch the water softener after 6 years? It seems to still work fine, I thought the softener re-bed interval was longer, maybe 10 - 15 years.

Lastly, the LED light on the carbon filter display no longer works. Is this a board replacement to fix? I recall it is pretty easy as I had to do it for the softener when it kept losing it's programmed settings.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Centaur or any high grade catalytic carbon is fine. Dont bother replacing the riser with the 32mm, this may not be easily done on your older valve as these had a permanently installed riser adapter, see the linked video for details. Changing the SXT board is very simple, less than 1 minute. Check to make sure the piston is not leaking, the 7000 valve had a minor design flaw that shows up on a rare occasion. The piston leak can cause water to get to the board causing water damage to the electronics. Rare but not unheard of.

Lifespeed

Reaction score
Should have fresh catalytic carbon and associated parts here shortly, thanks Dittohead! How long should I let the carbon soak in the tank undisturbed before a backwash or three to flush out the dust?

Edit: Can I use compressed air to a hose bib at the house supply, ball valves isolating the city water meter and the softener outlet, carbon tank valve positioned to backwash, to empty some water out of the tank so it isn't so heavy to maneuver?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
I would remove the valve and siphon water from the center tube to remove the water ot make it lighter so you can lay it over and then simply use a garden hose to wash the carbon out. It is a bit messy but a broom can fix that.

Let the carbon soak for a night, it will be fine after a few backwash cycles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks