Level, but slightly crooked toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

raywells

Reaction score
I had a couple of toilets replaced, and they are not quite perpendicular to the wall. They are level, just crooked. Can I loosen the wing nuts that snug the toilet to the flange, reposition the toilet so that it is straight, and do all of that without installing a new wax ring?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any time you move a toilet, you should replace the wax ring. While it might smoosh a bit without breaking the seal, it's not worth the chance. And, note that on many flanges, there are the long T-slots, and often (but not always) just a side notch where the bolts can go. If they used the notches verses the slots, you may not have much leeway on moving the toilet. Usually, the hole in the toilet is big enough to rotate it at least a few degrees, and if they used the slots, probably more as the bolt can move, too. Also, it's a good idea to use a second nut and washer to lock the bolt into the flange, and if they did that, it won't move without removing the toilet. That keeps them in place and sitting upright so they don't get knocked while setting the toilet down.

If they had used one of the waxless seals, it would be safer to just try to rotate the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks