Letting pipe dope sit before pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

edwardh3

Reaction score
The Ace hardware can of "paint on type) pipe dope I have says to let it sit 48 hours before applying pressure.
would this apply to drain fittings also?

48 hours seems long

Construct30

Reaction score
I would not use pipe dope that required a setting time. Tephlon paste from oatey or rector seal for gas or water. Check any paste for use with plastics and PVC.

Setting type pipe dope gets hard and cracks, unless you are talking about some kind of solvent cement. Pipe dope is for threaded connections.

What is your application?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
48 hours

If the pipe dope required 48 hours before pressurizing it, you can be sure that no one would buy or use it. Probably a CYA memo from some engineer/lawyer that wanted an "out" if the stuff failed because he could be sure that no one would follow the requirement.

edwardh3

Reaction score
ace sells tons of it

green stuff in small cans- no not pvc cement, but pipe dope.
Is rector seal better (I think this is their generic for rector seal)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just get the Oatey that is called Pipe Dope. No fancy schmancey type this or that. But, this stuff is for threaded pipe, not PVC connections like a P trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks