Lesson Realized

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just thought I would share this realization that I came to yesterday.

I've been flipping and remodeling houses now for about 6 years. My older wiser buddy said something to me early on, after the first one, that I just accepted but didn't absorb. He said, "You'll never be able to buy another house". His message had some adhesion but it wasn't until yesterday that it really stuck.

Here's how it stuck. Another buddy just bought a house. He invites me over and he's so excited about it. I walk through it and while this house isn't the worst I've seen it still needs a lot of work. There are violations a plenty in this thing. Unsealed duct work, exposed wiring, galvanized plumbing, unstrapped plumping, rusty electical panel, bad drywall, poorly done trim with loads of Alex Caulk etc...

So I think my buddy is right I'll likely never just buy a house. To many lemons out there. I guess I'll always have to buy'em cheap and fix'em up.

Any of you guys in the same boat?

Tom

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I'm a commercial architect and I can't ever just go into a resturant or my kids school anymore and be about my business... I'm always looking at the materials, construction, traffic flow, ADA access, noise, etc.
I can no longer just "go out to dinner".

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
drive the wife nuts...

Spaceman Spiff said:
I'm a commercial architect and I can't ever just go into a resturant or my kids school anymore and be about my business... I'm always looking at the materials, construction, traffic flow, ADA access, noise, etc.
I can no longer just "go out to dinner".

As a G.C. I do this every where... can't help myself but drives the wife nuts if she is with me.If we are going over to a friend's house the first thing she says "don't say anything!They may of done some of the work themselves."

I can just see this on Dr. Phil...Construction guys who critique everything and the women who love them!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As a retired teacher, I have the same problem when I read some of the posts on this and other forums. Not just the possible typo errors, but the spelling and grammar errors! I have to control the urge to make comments. I suppose it is the same with other professions also.:D

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Old Dog said:
I can just see this on Dr. Phil...Construction guys who critique everything and the women who love them!

Yup. I need to see that show.

Tom

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I do the same thing...
I go out and mentally make notes about sloppy plumbing or someone using a toothed wrench to service chromed flushometers...
I am constantly looking at the way things are built, piped and how the other contractors messed things up...
Code violations are a favorite...LOL

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
With my background in home repair and the plumbing and electric I do now I do the same when going anywhere except big box stores. I will point out important problems to home owners when I find them, and many of the problems I find are blatantly obvious ones that home inspectors missed intentionally or not.

The latest one was an expansion tank over a heater that had rusted through and was dripping on to the heater and was ready to pop. The home owner told me the inspector had spent 5 min. or more looking over the heater and messing with the gas valve for some reason.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
I work for Coke and did a short stint on the Fountain side of the biz. I was in the kitchens of alot of restaraunts. Thank God I'm doing something else now, cuz I couldn't bring myself to dining out anywhere! Even now, I sit as far away from the kitchen and the soda fountain as I can. I'm just afraid of what I might see... :rolleyes:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Pewterpower said:
I sit as far away from the kitchen and the soda fountain as I can. I'm just afraid of what I might see... :rolleyes:

I've heard horror stories on the microbial buildup in soda icebins.....:(

I do the same as everyone else but I tend to look at the system design and fixtures selected...

Nate R

Reaction score
Ugh, I do it ALL the time. I dunno, I've still found houses I've liked, but there's ALWAYS work to be done.

Sometimes it's tougher when you know too much.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I walked into a friends new construction house the other day it looked like the trim had been put together by a paraplegic. The house had a wopping 8 breakers in teh panel and the drywall was sub-par. I can't even be happy with new construction.

My buddy was right I'll never buy a house and just be happy.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks