Less ugly way to cap old galv vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
My house was built in ~1922. Before this area had plumbing available. I believe the plumbing was installed in the house in 1931 or so. Since then all the supply lines have been replaced w/ copper. Drain branches have been done in PVC as well. Just the cast iron stack and closet bend remain.
We've gutted the bathroom and are moving the sink and tub. Slowly. VERY slowly.

Anyway, the stack was put in through a stair. There really is no place else to go with it, so they put it where they could. It's a small house.

So, the stack is exposed. We've removed the old vent for the old location of the tub. For now I just left some extra pipe on and put a Fernco cap on it.

stack.JPG

Looking for suggestions on what to do with this old vent stub to make it look better, and still be sealed. I didn't attempt to unthread it at all. Should I even try, or is it pretty safe to assume it's never coming off after 75+ years?

Is there some sort of internal plug you'd trust for this? Or is the rubber fernco cap the only way to go? There are no fixtures above this level, just the vent extending up towards the center of the house and through the roof.

Nate R

Reaction score
Its a thing of beauty!
You could cut it off closer if you want to...

You know, my wife and I kind of agree. It doesn't look bad as a whole.
Someone at some point must've thought it was ugly since they bumped out the wall over the stack and stairs ther with some paneling just to cover it up. It made the stairs a lot narrower feeling. They were still 30" wide, but it felt like less. Obviously people before that felt it didn't look too bad either, as it has 2-3 different colors on it.

My mom suggested we wrap it w/ rope and make a giant scratching post out of it for our 3 cats. :p

My wife says we should consider wrapping it w/ Christmas lights. :D

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The peice of galvanized pipe can be removed by unsrewing it. You will need to heat up the cast iron first where the galvanized meets the iron. It has to be extremely hot (almost cherry hot) and then use a large pipe wrench with a persuader(pipe on the end of the wrench to unscrew it). Then pick up the right size iron pipe galvanized plug to screw into the hole. (probably 1 1/4" plug)

Nothing is impossible. All you need is
1)The good will to do it
2)money to back it up

Wrex

Reaction score
When I had to remove an old galvanized pipe out of a threaded cast iron wye in my house.

I cut the galvanized leaving 4 inches from the cast iron with a reciprocating saw then I took a wide chisel and a 4 lb hammer and crushed the galvanized pipe into itself.

Eventually I was able to grab the caved in pipe with water pump pliers and wiggled a bit then the entire pipe came out threads and all.

Once the pipe is out just get a male plug apply some pipe thread sealant and screw it in.

But this in my opinion is alot of labor for no real reason (I had to do this to replace galvanized with PVC in my bathroom) in your case it's fine the way it is as Red said you could always cut the pipe closer and recap it. Way less labor same result.

Beauty indeed imagine all the work it was to haul that heavy pipe up there?

Then the lead and oakum at each joint how time consuming that must have been.
Pouring a Lead Joint

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks