LED lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
SORRY, I'M AN IDIOT AND ENTERED THE SAME MESSAGE TWICE BUT WITH A DIFFERENT HEADING AND I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO DELETE ONE OF THE OTHER. MY APOLOGIES.

Good Evening
Need some advice on under-cabinet LED strip lighting.
I have 5 led individual strips totaling 14 feet, on 5 cabinets at 3.5 watts per foot and 32 feet of low voltage wire for the complete run from the driver to the end of the furthest LED strip.
Problem is, 32 feet at 3.5 watts per foot is 112 watts and I understand that would require a driver that has over
112 watts plus an extra 10%, which would work out to around 125-watt driver.
If the 32 feet was split into 2 runs of 16 feet, would 125 watts still be needed and Class 2 driver could still be used?
I was told that if I used a Class 1 driver of say 200 watts, all low voltage wires would have to be in conduit.
Is that correct?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thank You,
  • Jeff

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
FYI, this forum is transitioning to new software this past weekend and the forum owners just posted that it still not done. Usually most forums you cannot deleted a post and only administrators can transfer the post to another forum. I'm not sure of e-mail notifications will be working?

You need two drivers depending on how you are laid out to keep it at Çlass 2 wiring. 3.5 watts per foot seems very high wattage for LED strips. I think it is 3.5 watts per meter with 60 LEDS. What is the LED count per meter? 30, 60 or 120? What voltage 12v or 24v?

Assuming 3.5 watts per meter, that is 35 watts for a 10 meter run (about 32 feet).

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Sorry to be off-topic, I paid attention to the course of this discussion. On what basis did you choose the LED strip?
In the USA all LED strip lighting are China made and most are LED tape lights. A peel and stick and you cut it to length. Some offer a housing (mounting channels) with a plastic cover for the tape lights. I buy Armacost brand for the most part since they are shipped from USA stock and not have to wait for shipping from China. https://www.armacostlighting.com/ I've found 60 LEDS per meter is perfect for under counter lighting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks