Led channels & tile

Users who are viewing this thread

rpdwyer

Reaction score
Hello all.
We're doing a master bath right now and I'd like to put some LEDs running vertically in a waterproof channel to really create a clean and modern aesthetic. I have a couple of questions though...

If the aluminum channel is embedded within the tile, is it likely that the grout around it will crack over time due to the heating and cooling differences between the surrounding tile and the aluminum channel?

anyone have any experience with installing LEDs in tile?

Thanks for any help.

--Rick

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think the LEDs will get hot enough to cause a thermal expansion crack, but I'm not positive.

You might get more traction over at www.johnbridge.com where they specialize in tiling things.

The general industry guideline is to caulk any change of plane or material, and that would solve that issue. If the manufacturer doesn't make a color-matched caulk, there's at least one company that will make up some for you in both sanded and unsanded versions, depending on what you need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks