Leaving in a test plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris989

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have an abandoned drain right tight up against a wall plate. Is there any reason I could not cut the 2"ABS off flush with the floor and solvent weld a knock out style test plug in place? I know it is not the same as a true ABS cap but jack hammering around the pipe will be difficult and if I damage the pipe it will only make more problems.

Would the thinner plastic be a failure in the future due to gases/corrosion?

The cap will be under a LVT floor with zero traffic.

Thanks,
chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Knock-outs are not made of durable material and should never be used permanently.
An idea: use a cutoff saw for plastic https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Internal-Diameter-PVC-Pipe-Cutter-80-525-111/304341675
Then go ahead with a glue in plug, but after it sets, build up some layers of ABS cement...not too thick each layer, but I'll tell you, I've had cans leak, and the dried glop is strong as heck.
1664156091240.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've used plumbers dynamite inside the pipe several inches and then did like breplumb says with gluing an IPO test plug don't know of a substitute for dynamite or if you can get a smaller bag. you probably don't want a 25 pound sack of it. Its cheating sort of a chance I've done it not really recommended but if you aren't going to chip it out this is one option

Chris989

Reaction score
I contacted Oatey tech and spoke with a man. He said there was not an issue unless there is pressure over 10 psi.

I asked multiple times about the material and if it would degrade over time and he said no. Not sure if he is correct.

If i can jack hammer the concrete and cap it i will,, If not I will try the knock out.

Thanks,
Chris

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Test cookies are not permanent fittings for burial... So it may depend on how long you plan to "test" that particular stub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks