Learning the ropes- how is this well setup, any tweaking advised?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmuunc

Reaction score
My well pump recently failed and had to be replaced. As a result I'm learning about my system and want some advice on any tweaks that should be made:
-6" drilled well, well depth is 405 feet based on county records, pump is ~365 feet deep (based on company stepping off the pipe length), and static level is around 50 feet
-New pump is a Goulds 7GS10422 (1 HP, 7 gpm), old pump was a similar Goulds (original to house from 1997, seems like a good 25 year run!)
-Pressure tank is 36 gallons, ~ drawdown of 9.7 gallons at 40/60, air pressure set at 38 psi
-When tank empties, pump runs for about 40 to 45 sec to fill the tank.
-Down stream of tank is an Entek iron filter followed by an Entek water softener

Having read that the pump should run for 1 min, the 40 to 45 sec run time concerns me. Is that nothing to worry about, or should I adjust something?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
A bigger pressure tank would be an improvement. So if your current tank fails, go bigger.

Next time the pump is pulled, I would put a flow inducer on it to improve cooling of the motor, and it may have other advantages.,

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
One minute of run time is minimum to be safe, two minutes is better, and running continuously is the best thing for a pump. A larger tank will give you more run time. However, adding a CSV will make the pump run continuously while using water and deliver strong constant 55 PSI to the house. 55 PSI constant is much strong than when the pump is continually cycling on and off between 40 and 60 PSI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks