Learn to be a Plumbing Designer

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbingdesign

Reaction score
I'm an HVAC engineer and was tasked to also take on Plumbing Design. I wonder if you can recommend good resources to study?

I found these ASPE books, and wonder if they are good, or if you recommend other resources?

I also will take some local courses and we have a Master Plumber on staff who can occasionally advise.

One wrinkle, I'm in WI and don't follow IPC. WI uses its own code. I assume most resources are based on IPC, but I hope there won't be substantial differences.

Any advice is appreciated.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would say skip the blue book and get the red. You'll mostly be sizing and routing. Which is really all the plumber needs as we won't spend time sizing a whole system, and the routing is just to eliminate design clash.

Some of the hot water systems can be tricky. As for learning where to do that? Most manufacturers have decent design outlines for different types of systems and if your an hvac engineer I'm sure you'd have some of that learned already.

Experience will probably teach you more than classes, high quality reference materials are probably the most essential,and valuable thing you'll get from a class.

Plumbingdesign

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll get the red book then (the other ones are out of stock anyway).
My employer also agreed to send me to a 1-day course this November, and a 3-day course next June. I hope by June i will have some good experience and can ask very good questions.

I looked a bit around what resources manufacturers offer. it looks like some have a access-controlled training section, and some have just some very generic training, or some just specific to their product. I'm actually not too familiar which manufacturers have the "good stuff". Could you point me to one that has good resources?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

Hydronic Expansion Joints (Part 2): It's All About the Guides​

https://www.deppmann.com › Blog

Oct 1, 2018 — Expansion joints in hydronic systems are used when the natural flexibility of the pipe will not handle the calculated movement caused by ...

District Heating Expansion Joints - BELMAN​

https://www.belman.com › district-heating-expansion-jo...

District Heating Expansion Joints are designed to take up mainly axial movements caused by temperature expansions of the pipeline. The Expansion Joints are ...

DimonD

Reaction score
I would say skip the blue book and get the red. You'll mostly be sizing and routing. Which is really all the plumber needs as we won't spend time sizing a whole system, and the routing is just to eliminate design clash.

Some of the hot water systems can be tricky. As for learning where to do that? Most manufacturers have decent design outlines for different types of systems and if your an hvac engineer I'm sure you'd have some of that learned already.

Experience will probably teach you more than classes, high quality reference materials are probably the most essential,and valuable thing you'll get from a class. By studying various theoretical data based on essays from industry professionals https://essaypapers.reviews/ you can certainly learn something new. But still getting your own experience will be indispensable.
Thanks for the awesome advice! I thought about it too.

Last edited:

CascadiaXR

Reaction score
I'm an HVAC engineer and was tasked to also take on Plumbing Design. I wonder if you can recommend good resources to study?

I found these ASPE books, and wonder if they are good, or if you recommend other resources?

I also will take some local courses and we have a Master Plumber on staff who can occasionally advise.

One wrinkle, I'm in WI and don't follow IPC. WI uses its own code. I assume most resources are based on IPC, but I hope there won't be substantial differences.
Separately, I would like to say that our company has a remarkably developed corporate culture and we welcome mentoring and teaching colleagues new knowledge. Our boss likes to study various essays on teamwork https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/team-work/ and often discusses them with us. But I would not want to distract more experienced colleagues, and I often have questions, I am not sure that I can do my job correctly. Please advise a good training course and technical literature.
Any advice is appreciated.

I'm just getting started, I don't have much experience yet and I'm still trying to learn as much as possible. Tell me please, in your opinion, which books were the most useful for you?

Now I'm trying to find a course in my city, but I'm primarily interested in books, because they can always be nearby and you can find the information you need, for me it's more convenient.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Start with local code books for ADA and barrier free designs related to plumbing

Usnaderevy

Reaction score
Embarking on the journey to become a Plumbing Designer is an exciting venture, blending creativity with technical prowess. The fusion of practical skills and innovative design thinking in this field is truly captivating. As a student passionate about writing, I appreciate the narrative potential hidden within pipelines and plumbing systems. Moreover, mastering time management tips for students https://essaypro.com/blog/time-management-tips-for-students is paramount. Organizing study sessions, balancing coursework, and dedicating specific intervals to delve into the intricate world of plumbing design ensure success. Time invested in understanding the nuances of this profession not only hones expertise but also cultivates a holistic approach toward creating efficient and sustainable plumbing solutions. Cheers to embracing both creativity and precision!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks