Leaky Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick Weirich

nweirich
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas to identify problem. I've replaced 4 hot water heaters in 2 years, each lasting about 6 months. The first 3 were HTP electric 80 gallon heaters, they all seemed to leak around heating elements after 6 months. The most recent one was a Bradford White electric 80 gallon heater that sprung a leak in the tank about 6 inches above the top element. I'm on my second plumber and we cant figure it out. Original hot water heater was installed in 2008 and lasted until 2019. I have well water with softener system that's tested yearly with no obvious water contaminant issues. House plumbing is a mix of copper, CPVC and PEX. I haven't had any other issues with faucets, fixtures or pipes. Looks to be a lot of rust in tank but I didn't tear it apart since it was covered under warranty. Could this be some sort of an electrical problem, or should I try a different material anode maybe? Any advice or ideas would be great thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Is your water fed by the copper pipes? I have seen suggestions to bypass ("bond") the pipes electrically.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/bonding-water-heater.42422/

I would stick a clamp around ammeter around one of your pipes to see if there is measurable current. Currents may be too small to measure. I really don't know what to think of this topic.

Another thought: if you are using resistance water heaters, the Rheem Marathon WHs are plastic, so are not subject to deterioration of metal. Just a thought for your searches.

Nick Weirich

nweirich
Reaction score
Is your water fed by the copper pipes? I have seen suggestions to bypass ("bond") the pipes electrically.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/bonding-water-heater.42422/

I would stick a clamp around ammeter around one of your pipes to see if there is measurable current. Currents may be too small to measure. I really don't know what to think of this topic.

Another thought: if you are using resistance water heaters, the Rheem Marathon WHs are plastic, so are not subject to deterioration of metal. Just a thought for your searches.

I did try the bonding of the cold to hot pipes but I guess I won’t know if it worked for a couple months. I’ll look into the plastic water heater. Thanks for the suggestions

Nick Weirich

nweirich
Reaction score
Did you happen to use dielectric unions? Have you ever checked electrical panel ground and ground rod?
We did use dielectric unions and I know I'm grounded to a rod but not sure how to test if I have a good ground. I'm neither a plumber or electrician, I know a little about both just enough to get me in trouble. Thanks for ideas

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks