Leaky Tub Faucet -- Replace Cartridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hannah1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping some of you that are more knowledgable about plumbing can help solve my leaky tub faucet problem. I live in an apartment and have tub faucet that's constantly dripping. I wanted to see if it's something that I could easily fix on my own before involving my landlord.

I took the trim off and tried to adjust the stem using the handle but couldn't get the water to stop dripping. I did some research online and think the leak might be solved by replacing a Moen 1222 cartridge. Replacing the cartridge seems pretty straight-forward based on what I've read online, however, I wanted to consult the forum before tackling the project on my own.

First things first: would replacing the shower cartridge fix the leaky faucet problem?

Secondly, a lot of what I've read involves shutting off the main water line, but I'm not sure where that is in my building. Is it possible the two screws on either side of the stem valve control the water flow? I've included a photo of what things look like behind the wall.

I would appreciate it if someone can answer my questions. Thanks!

stem_valve1.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those two "screws" will shut off the water, if they work. However, replacing a 1222 cartridge is NOT always a "piece of cake". I have had some that I had to work on for hours to get it out, (once you start to remove it, you are stuck and either finally get it out or replace the valve. I have had to do both).

Hannah1

Reaction score
Thanks for the response HJ. I was hoping this was the case (re: water shut-off) since it is a multi-unit dwelling. I'll look for the part at a home-improvement store and hope to tackle the project some time this weekend. Crossing my fingers that the cartridge will come out easily...

Hannah1

Reaction score
Would there be any way the integral stops aren't working? I rotated the screws 90 degrees, which I thought stopped the water flow (the leak stopped) and water wasn't coming out when I rotated the handle. However, when I took the retaining clip off and slowly started rotating the stem valve using the plastic tool that came with new cartridge, water started coming out. I didn't take it all the way out because I didn't want a gusher, but I also observed that the water flow did not slow. I was able to push the cartridge back in and snap the retaining clip back on.

However, I must have broken the seal because the dripping is now a steady flow. Also, the stops are in the "off" position but now water comes out when I turn the handle to turn the water on the hot side but not when I turn the handle to the cold side. I also couldn't get the cold water to come on despite rotating the screw in either "on" or "off" position on the integral spot. After it started making a weird groaning noise, I decided call a plumber instead of messing with it any further. I'm asking for quotes now, but wanted to have more knowledge about how the stops work.

Anyway, back to my original question about the integral stops on the valve. Could something be preventing it from working? I had some deposits come out but wasn't sure if that was related. If they can't close/open, I might have to ask to shut-off the water line for my building, which I'm reluctant to do unless necessary. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some integral stops are like a normal valve...multi-turn; some are 1/4-turn. Try turning the valves more to see if they stop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks