Leaky Tub drain and rough fiberglass

Users who are viewing this thread

DBASRA99

Reaction score
After about 18 years, I have deleveloped a leaky tub outlet and it wiped out the ceiling in a closet.

When replacing the outlet drain etc I noticed that the fiberglass around the outlet (under the tub) was pretty rough and not really flat....one pretty big bump.

Should I try to sand down the fiberglass or just hope for the best with the rubber glasket?

I have no interest in replacing the entire shower.

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The rubber gaskets are forgiving...yours held for many years... but it would be a good idea to take a sanding block and some 120 grit to smooth it out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The bottom surface of the tub IS the watertight connection when the gasket is compressed between it and the drain fitting. IF it is NOT flat/smooth, it CAN leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks