Leaky trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Budrick

Reaction score
Trying to connect brass j-bend to galvanized elbow to create p-trap. Kitchen sink so 1-1/2". Galvanized elbow is downfiring male threaded and brass has female coupling nut. It looks like the tapered plastic washer just sits flush on the surface of the elbow....shouldn't it snug up into the end of the pipe a little? Is that why I can't get it to stop leaking? Any advice?

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
Did you try it without the slip joint washer? I didn't think that connection on the trap required a washer.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those beveled plastic washers are for use with corresponding beveled seats on plastic or metal tubular drain parts. Slip nuts
on threaded steel pipe use a flat rubber washer, which are available at any hardware store or "home improvement center".

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you have a galvanized "street elbow" it was NEVER DESIGNED to connect to a trap. You need a conventional elbow and a close nipple to attach the trap to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks