Leaky silcock replacement Qs (soldering in tight spaces)

Users who are viewing this thread

fishsticks72

Reaction score
Hi all-

Over the winter, my frost-free silcock went out thanks to my stupidly forgetting to remove the brass Y fitting outside (genius remembered to remove the hose, though). There's a nice split right down the middle of the silcock, so it has to come out.

I'm very handy, but I'm no plumber and I don't play one on TV, so I'm going to leave this one for a pro. My question is - just how much access does someone need to get that old fitting removed and a new one on there? I opened up the wall nearby, to see if it the previous owner used the threaded connection to screw on the silcock, I figured I'd be able to unscrew it and replace. Not only isn't it screwed on, but it's in the most inaccessible location imaginable. The previous owner finished the basement, and they boxed in this plumbing very tight - I'd be surprised if after cracking open the wall on the other side you'd be able to get much more than one arm and a propane torch in there.

The really annoying part is that the whole setup was done completely wrong, from what little I know about it. That boxed in area wasn't insulated, defeating the purpose of having the silcock in the first place (the second I poked some holes I was greeted by nice cold air). There was no slope to the pipe, so water wouldn't drain out anyway.

Finally - any idea what I should be expecting labor-wise? I'm not looking to nickel and dime anyone, but I feel like at worst 2-3 hours of work should get this one done. Is that fair, or am I underestimating things?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

fishsticks72

Reaction score
Giving this one a single bump before I let it go - really looking for a pro's advice on how much space you need to access and solder in a replacement. I'm not making this a DIY repair, don't trust myself under those conditions, but wondering whether it makes sense to just cap this connection where it is accessible and find another place to bring out the silcock.

Reach4

Reaction score
Photo(s)? I am not a pro.

I think your time estimates are suitably pessimistic. If you provide access, do the insulation after, and close things back up, I expect a plumber could move pretty fast. If you have the hole closed by another provider, add on for that.

If he can't solder with his heat shield blankets, he can use a system that does not require soldering in that spot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks