Leaky Shower head - Faucets to blame?

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Forman

Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed the shower head in my master bath has been dripping for a while, including long after the shower is turned off. I had the springs in the faucets replaced, but that only resolved the problem for a couple months. I'd like to try to figure the cause before the drips become a leak, and ideally a more permanent solution.

The details.
The shower is a dual handle walk in, with quarter turn faucets. There is a handheld hose/showerhead attached to the outlet pipe (or whatever the term for the pipe from the wall where the head connects is). Even if I drain the showerhead (extend the hose and hold it upside down, and then loosen the hose connection at the mounting bracket) - it will still drip occasionally through the day.

Not being the most plumbing oriented, are faucet springs different from replacing the full faucet cartridge?
And based on the description (hopefully it has enough details), might the cartridge be the issue? Or is there something more?

Thanks!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A good test to see if the shower is leaking past the valves would be to take off the hose at the wall outlet and put your thumb or a balloon over it and see if it builds up pressure. If that is the case, then yes you have a leak.

Quarter turn faucets suggests that it has ceramic discs which could never wear out when originally marketed. Finding the manufacture would be the next logical step in identifying the proper parts to replace, which they may offer under warranty, or at least sell you OEM parts.

Matt Forman

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts, and sorry for the delay in responding. I had some family issues that required going out of town... anyway, now that I'm back, the leak seems worse - almost one drip a second now... so definitely will be calling someone to replace the cartridges (and perhaps more, if needed).

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Usually I replace cartridges , especially if Im called out on a job to fix a drip at shower. I figure someone paying me a couple hundred bucks wont want to pay me twice. If Im doing a larger job and the drpping faucet is added to the job where Im kinda throwing it in for a reduced amount because Im already there I might throw springs and seats only at it like an old Delta.
From your description Matt this is a pretty small job hang around a bit you might become DIY

Matt Forman

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff! I've watched some videos, and it doesn't look like too bad a job... but I'm still stuck at the beginning... lol. The videos all show faucets/fixtures that come off with an Allen wrench, but there doesn't seem to be any screws/wrench slots on the fixture.. (or are "dial" faucets with a cap to pop - instead of handle/lever style... ) - unless *light bulb going on, though it is kind of dim* - maybe the handle/lever unscrews, and I can access the inner part of the fixture from there.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
picture of the trim could help give tips on disassembly and pictures of whats underneath after trim is removed we can help you to remove / identify cartridge. the cartridge may have to be re installed while you find a relacement because water will have to be turned off likely to entire house

Matt Forman

Reaction score
Here are some images of the faucet... top view, bottom view, and side view... I don't see any screw/Allen wrench holes... so maybe the cover (or whatever the proper term for the handle piece is) can be gently pried off? It feels like that may have happened before as one of the fixtures does have a notch/minor deformity on it as if someone used too much pressure - though it also could have come from the factory that way and I never noticed.

Attachments

• Faucet-Top.jpg
    Faucet-Top.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Faucet-Side.jpg
    Faucet-Side.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 59
  • Faucet-Bottom.jpg
    Faucet-Bottom.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 62

Matt Forman

Reaction score
Ok - so I'm an idiot... had a plumber here and watched them... there is a small allen wrench hole on the inside part of the faucet near the handle... I was looking for it more at the base of the ball... LOL.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had to have a mechanic change the brake light bulbs in my work truck once..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks