Leaky boiler. Should I try sealant to get me through the season?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pete C

Reaction score
21 year old H B Smith oil fired hot water boiler.

Since I went to electric HW a number of years ago, the boiler has become quite corroded. I guess year round running does have its benefits.

My plan was to switch over to a heat pump for this season, but by the time I started looking, I was told that it wouldn't happen as everything is back ordered. And unless oil drops back below 3 bucks a gallon, I still plan on going the HP route next year.

It leaks a fair bit. Sometimes very little, sometimes more. I assume this is due to temp fluctuations.

I have found a boiler on CL that just so happens to be the exact same model, so it would be an easy fit. It is in the home of an HVAC contractor who is also changing over to a heat pump. Pics look very good. He says it works perfectly.

He's asking 450 and said he'll deliver and give me a hand hooking it up for 650.

I am wondering if I should go this route or maybe just toss some boiler sealant in my old rust bucket and cross my fingers.

Only needs to get me through 3-4 months.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
21 year old H B Smith oil fired hot water boiler.

Since I went to electric HW a number of years ago, the boiler has become quite corroded. I guess year round running does have its benefits.

My plan was to switch over to a heat pump for this season, but by the time I started looking, I was told that it wouldn't happen as everything is back ordered. And unless oil drops back below 3 bucks a gallon, I still plan on going the HP route next year.

It leaks a fair bit. Sometimes very little, sometimes more. I assume this is due to temp fluctuations.

I have found a boiler on CL that just so happens to be the exact same model, so it would be an easy fit. It is in the home of an HVAC contractor who is also changing over to a heat pump. Pics look very good. He says it works perfectly.

He's asking 450 and said he'll deliver and give me a hand hooking it up for 650.

I am wondering if I should go this route or maybe just toss some boiler sealant in my old rust bucket and cross my fingers.

Only needs to get me through 3-4 months.
I would get the replacement as you'll never find a price like that again and you won't be stuck up a creek in the dead of winter.

Fitter30

Reaction score
For $1100 thats a deal. Guess the boiler is small enough to fit through doors and make it in the basement without to much of a problem. Electric space heaters would be your only alternative. Boiler with only leak worst. Stop leak doesn't work for that kind of leak.

Pete C

Reaction score
I would get the replacement as you'll never find a price like that again and you won't be stuck up a creek in the dead of winter.
Also, there is a chance this country pulls its head out of its ass and we get back to a sensible energy policy and oil prices come back to something reasonable. Not counting on that though.

Then I could just keep it a while.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks