Leaky bathtub P trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Mookie3333

Reaction score
I have a situation where a removable bathtub 2" PVC P trap SOMETIMES leaks onto the ceiling below. The first time this happened, it was because there was a drain was blocked, and the standing water slowly found its way to trickle out of the P trap where the lock nut is. Had a plumber snake the drain, removed the trap, and retighten it, and there were no further problems.... until last night.

Last night, tenant texts me again to say there's water leaking again. This time, there is no clog, and the water is moving freely down the drain to the main stack.

What gives?? How can I assure that the lock nut is TIGHT so that no water leaks through? Teflon tape? silicone? Looking for help...... Luckily I can easily access the P trap, but I want to make this tight once and for all.

Thanks for your help guys.

Reach4

Reaction score
A PVC P trap in a ceiling should be glued in rather than screw-together.

Mookie3333

Reaction score
Ah - never knew this. Given that it's already there, what can I do, short of cutting out and putting a new one? I doubt there's even that kind of movement to get new pieces fitted together.

Mookie3333

Reaction score
ha.... removable trap, I meant. Permanent tub. :D

nibco-4892112.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Codes now don't allow slip joints in concealed places for tub drains. It's always a place that can leak. We've switched to gluing up our waste and overflows, with glued on traps.
If you can get it to seal with pliers, then fine. I like to see the mating parts clean before I snug it up. The swivel gets tightend first, and then the other nut.

Mookie3333

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Last time it leaked, I thought I got it nice and tight. Stayed with it running for ten mins and didn't observe any leak, so I'm not sure what changed from then til now that it's now leaking again. Like you said, I did tighten the swivel end firs then the tailpiece nut.

I've read that a bead of teflon paste on the mating surfaces might help. Worth a shot? I'm not too confident in using silicone or anything more"permanent" than a paste...for fear that if it doesn't work, having trouble separating/cleaning.

Mookie3333

Reaction score
Going back again for the same problem today... leak onto 1st floor ceiling from this #@&*$ P trap. Thinking about replacing it, maybe there is a defect in the mating surface??? Thinking about eliminating the entire swivel trap, and solvent welding one. However, very tight space to work with. Is my only option to use a fernco? Didn't think of this until I left home, so I don't even have the tools on me to do this (saw, glue, etc.) Any recommendations on how to make the existing removable P trap work, and stop leaking once and for all? It's been leak free almost a year, then suddenly started back again recently.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks