leaky american standard toilet- i think from the gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

afg

Reaction score
so last weekend we noticed a small amount of water around the base of our toilet. I assumed it was the wax ring (we haven't changed it since we moved in about six years ago). while i was going to the hardware store, my dad recommended that i replace the gasket in between the tank and bowl. i got a wax ring, but the guy at the store said since it was an older model (AS 4078) to bring the guts back for any other parts.
wax ring is in, back to the store with the gasket. however, the store didn't have the same gasket. the guy gave me one and told me it was universal.
i replaced the fill valve (with a new type- one that didn't have the floating ball- was this a good idea?), the tank to bowl bolts and the gasket.
i put the whole thing back together and when i flush it, i have a very small amount of dripping from the underside of the tank. i assume this is the gasket, b/c it only seems to happen when the toilet is flushed and the bolts seem to be dry.
do i have the wrong gasket? can i get the same profile somewhere? the new one is thicker and beveled on the bottom. my old one seemed to have a flange that sat in the opening to the bowl (it wasn't beveled). everyone tells me that there's only this new universal gasket available, and i can't find my profile anywhere. i did read on another board that someone thinks that the old one may have started out as beveled and the pressure caused it to conform to the newer shape, but i'm doubtful of that.
this is sort of driving me crazy and i've got to get it fixed b/c my husband is threatening to call a plumber and i hate to do that after i've invested all the time and money already.
any suggestions?
thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Universal parts always make me nervous. True, so probably work just fine, but still there's always a nagging doubt. I'd say your problem is gasket related. It may just not be positioned right. I know of know reason not to use a different style fill valve, but I'm sure the pros will have their opinions about which type is best. I think you wasted time and money replacing the wax ring. Unless the toilet is removed or moves, these last forever.

afg

Reaction score
the wax ring isn't that expensive and if nothing else moving the toilet allowed me to clean underneath it. (i also painted the bathroom since i had the toilet out, which i probably wouldn't have done with the toilet in the way!)

I'm just not sure what else i can do to the gasket to 'make' it fit. would it help to add some sort of putty or sealant or something around it before i put it in?
i would really just like to find the same gasket profile as i took out, and it's frustrating that i can't find it anywhere. could my gasket be the wrong diameter or height maybe? it's such a simple seal i'm not sure what else to try except taking it apart and readjusting it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flapper valve seat could be slightly loose. There's (normally) a big nut on the bottom of the tank that sandwiches that assembly to the tank and compresses the internal gasket (which could be bad, or the surface of the tank where it mates could be rough). So, a big pair of plumber's slip-joint pliers or a special wrench and maybe an 1/8" turn to tighten it might be the source of the leak. Also, is there a gap between the tank and the bowl? You may not have the bolts tight enough. this time of year, you might get condensation on the outside of the tank. You sure it's not condensation rather than a leak?

afg

Reaction score
the flush valve was the one thing i didn't replace. i guess since all the other gaskets are old then maybe that one inside the tank is old too. i guess i figured even if that part did leak, the tank to bowl gasket was still around it. if the tank to bowl gasket was sealed, shouldn't it just divert any leaking from the tank down into the bowl? i mean, it may still leak, but it shouldn't leak OUT, right? is this faulty logic?
i can replace that too if it would help, though.

afg

Reaction score
I just re-read jadnashua's post where it asks "is there a gap between the tank and the bowl?"
Yes, there is. the bolts to the tank have a good seal, but when i place the tank on the bowl and put the wingnuts to hold it on, i can crouch down and see the edge of the gasket between. is this not right? does this mean my gasket is too thick? the wingnuts holding the tank on are pretty tight- i don't want to make them any tighter in case i crack something.

is the tank supposed to sit on the bowl? I thought it wouldn't b/c you didn't want porcelain against porcelain. at this point, though, i can't remember what it looked like before i took it apart...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd have to dig out the installation instructions, but most tanks are designed to sit on their bowl. You don't want it tight enough where you are putting tension on it, and a slight gap is often okay, too, but the tank shouldn't wiggle noticably back and forth. The valve seat underneath the flapper valve is the one I was referring to; the nut on the bottom may not be fully tightened. It could leak out along the outside threads and between the tank and the bowl. It could be because it isn't tight enough, or the casting could be rough and the gasket can't seal. Or, it could be from somewhere else!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks