Leaking Westinghouse 4500 watt elec. Water heater advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

jgraham295

Reaction score
I have a 52gal stainless steel Westinghouse 4500 watt electric water heater that has developed a leak around both the upper and lower heating elements. It appears to be leaking from the joint between the tank and the female connector where the heating element goes in. The heating element gasket doesn't appear to be the cause. Please see the attached picture. Any thoughts? Does it appear to be fixable or manufacturer defect? I appreciate everyone's help in advance.
IMG_20210510_184457~2.jpg IMG_20210510_184513.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Does it appear to be fixable or manufacturer defect?
Still under warranty? How old is this WH?

The main reason people replace water heaters is a leak. It's possible that the element is leaking, but I think not probable.

jgraham295

Reaction score
Hopefully it is. I bought it in Nov 2019 and had it installed a couple months ago. I guessed as much as far as having to have it replaced, but really don't want to go through the hastle of having it shipped and paying to install another one. It is what it is though.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
The fact it is leaking from both top & bottom would make me think the elements are not snug enough. For both threaded "sockets" to have defective welds would be unusual at best.

I would obtain a 1 1/2 " deep socket ( Not the cheap thin wall element wrenches that are sold ) .... cut the power ........... remove the wires and "gently" see if the elements are indeed loose. It's worth the 30 minutes it would take.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. The company is replacing it under warranty.

It is much better to call the installer or the manufacturer and not touch it as the last one to touch it (other than setting the temperature or draining the tank or testing the T&P as stated in the owner's manual ) is now responsible.

Most companies are legitimate and will do the righteous thing

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The fact it is leaking from both top & bottom would make me think the elements are not snug enough. For both threaded "sockets" to have defective welds would be unusual at best.

I would obtain a 1 1/2 " deep socket ( Not the cheap thin wall element wrenches that are sold ) .... cut the power ........... remove the wires and "gently" see if the elements are indeed loose. It's worth the 30 minutes it would take.

Why fiddle with something under warranty?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks