Leaking valves...best options for replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

UKMyers

Reaction score
I just moved into a new house that has a sweet 12 valve system. The problem is it has never been wired up to a controller. The valves are 3/4 Rain Jet RJ711. I don't think they are made anymore but there are many direct replacements out there. My problem is 3 of 12 valves have dry rotted and broke around where the manual shut off is causing them to leak out of the top of the valve. They have threads on the valves but the piece they are threaded into is PVC welded to the supply spout.

I looked but could not find just the top piece of the valve to replace. I'm thinking my only option is going to be to cut the PVC and replace the entire valves.

Does anybody know if I can just replace the top half of the valves? I'm curious how many of the solenoids are going to still work also. That is an easy fix though I just don't want leaky valves.

This picture shows where the the valve dry rotted and broke apart around the manual shut off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
RainJet was acquired by Lawn Genie , a Toro Company. The Lawn Genie 54000 replaced the RJ11. I think the parts for that, which are available, will fit the RJ11. Most homestores would have the parts, and even if you had to buy all new valves and just swap out parts, that would not be expensive and would save a lot of work.

https://www.lawngenie.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

UKMyers

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The guy at the hardware store tried to convince it was just the diaphram leaking but I dont' think that's the case. The solenoids are in pretty bad shape too. I may just hack off the PVC fittings and start over from scratch. I've seen 3/4" valves go anywhere from about $15-30 bucks on tons of sites. Any recommedations on a good place to buy them?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In that price range....Home Depot. They usually have the Lawn Genie, Orbit, Rainbirds, and a couple of Toro's. All of these are decent, "homeowner" quality. You could spend more and get some professional Toro or Rainbird models at a landscape supply. I would buy the Home Depot Rainbirds.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Buy some Irritrol R205TF (or R205SF) valves, and you will have the needed repair parts, along with spare solenoids and diaphragms. The newer antisyphon valves are a different design, and the parts don't retrofit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks