Leaking vacuum breaker on Moen hot/cold faucet HC400510

Users who are viewing this thread

tj53152

Reaction score
Good morning,

Hoping someone can help me get to the bottom of this issue. We have a Moen hot/cold anti siphon faucet installed in our barn wash rack and it leaks at the vacuum breaker. It has not always leaked, but the more I look at the installation, I'm questioning why not. It was installed vertically vs. horizontally because the other side of the 2" wall is a horse stall, and the hose connection goes up overhead (see attached photo). I've replaced the vacuum breaker, but it did not stop the leak. The leak occurs when the faucet is turned off and the hose valve is opened to relieve the pressure on the hose. It appears that the water from the vertical run of hose is draining back through the vacuum breaker, which would sort of make sense as it's the only path for the water to take and the vacuum breaker is lower than the hose. However, I can't figure out why it hasn't always leaked and how to fix it now that it does. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry

Attachments

• wash rack faucet_1jpg.jpg
    wash rack faucet_1jpg.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 950

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks to me as if you are missing the cap on the vacuum breaker. That may not be important to the function.

MOEN-HC400510-10-Outdoor-Hot-Cold-Sill.jpg

I suspect Moen would say that you need a new vacuum breaker repair kit. However you might get by with just cleaning the old one, or replacing the o-ring with a generic o-ring of the proper size.

I am thinking the white thing screws in, although I have never seen a Moen vacuum breaker. So I would try unscrewing it.

Moen Vacuum Breaker Kit for Sillcock 140900 appears to be the right part. I am not a plumber or other pro.

moen-140900-1.jpg

http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/exploded-parts-views/hc400506pt.pdf

http://pro.moen.com/moen/vacuum-breaker-kit/_/R-TPORTAL-ALL:140900
List price $9.70

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The leak occurs when the faucet is turned off and the hose valve is opened to relieve the pressure on the hose. It appears that the water from the vertical run of hose is draining back through the vacuum breaker, which would sort of make sense as it's the only path for the water to take and the vacuum breaker is lower than the hose.

I have no idea why it didn't leak before. It should have leaked, as it only seals under pressure. It's meant to "breath" Maybe there was enough head pressure to make it shut off.

tj53152

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Given the barn has never gotten below freezing (maybe 34 degrees at worst), I decided to put a washer and o-ring on the back side of the vacuum break to close it at all times. Now, we can disconnect the hose if we thought it could ever get below freezing, but we'll likely never there. So the leak is solved.

Thanks for the replies.

Terry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks