leaking toto unifit

Users who are viewing this thread

kielio12

Reaction score
i have been having an issue with a toto vespin 2 with unfit adapter ,I've had to change the wax seal once already and didn't leak for about 6 months then started again recently once it got a bit colder outside, everything is level and and fastened properly I'm not sure what could be causing this .any suggestions.?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not suggesting that you do this, but you probably got this sheet packed with your toilet:
index.php

The bit about using the toilet flange riser is surprising. However you might comment on how deep your flange is below floor level. You might need to use a thicker wax ring or 2 rings. Stay tuned from those with more experience.

Attachments

• Toto_unifit_2.jpg
    Toto_unifit_2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,526

Reach4

Reaction score
What makes you think that the seal is leaking? Suppose you lift the toilet off. Flow water into the top of the Unifit with a garden hose. Does water leak from the seal area?

If it is does, then either something moves, or you needed more wax with either a taller ring or two rings. If the Unifit cannot accept what the garden hose delivers, that would seem to indicate a sewer blockage.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
the flange is sitting above the tile floor so I don't know why u would need 2 wax seals

Then you are in the 5% that has the flange on top of the floor and you only need one wax ring.

A leak at the wax can be a backed up sewer line or a broken wax seal from plunging.
And there could be other reasons.

I have also used a Sani-Seal for the installation on these.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hmmm.. If plunging could build a lot of pressure at the flange, that would seem to imply of a clog in the sewer line at or below the flange. Guess an advantage of Saniseal that you could not blow it out even with pressures.

I wonder if floor heat could melt the wax under some conditions. Wikipedia says bee's wax can melt at 144 F but it can soften at body temperature.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Make sure that the rubber gasket that seals the toilet to the adapter is intact and not skewed or torn and is seated properly on the toilet. Make sure that the toilet doesn't rock - shim if necessary. Rocking the toilet with a Unifit won't damage the wax seal like on conventionally mounted toilets, but could let it leak from the rubber gasket area. Far less likely, there's a crack in the toilet itself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks