Leaking toilet tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Crestone

Reaction score
Hello all of you good folks out there in this forum. I am new to this forum and looking forward to your assistance. Here is my issue. I lose about an inch of water, measured from the top of the Flush Valve, in my toilet tank and it takes a whole day for this to happen. I have placed red coloring in the tank and the red does not show up in the bowl. So I believe this means that the flapper is ok and working properly. If you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction to identify the part that needs to be replaced, I would appreciate it. I am thinking it is the Flush Valve. The tank does not empty even after l leave the water off and basically stays at the loss of an inch over night. Thanks in advance.

crestone

Crestone

Reaction score
Ok thanks for your patience. Please find attached 4 photos of the inside of the tank. Please note that the water level on the flush valve drops to the point you see from the lip and stops there. The problem is that the water level needs to stay at the lip of the flush valve in order to have the one flush happen...otherwise the toilet requires 2 flushes when the water level drops to the inch as you see. Thanks so much for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 163

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking it is the Flush Valve. The tank does not empty even after l leave the water off and basically stays at the loss of an inch over night.
Picture, yes, except if your refill tube goes down the overflow tube, that could explain the symptom. In that case, you need a clip to hold your refill tube above the overflow tube.

Those usually come with replacement refill tubes, if you don't find the clip by itself.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Picture, yes, except if your refill tube goes down the overflow tube, that could explain the symptom. In that case, you need a clip to hold your refill tube above the overflow tube.

Those usually come with replacement refill tubes, if you don't find the clip by itself.

In the picture the clip is in place and has the proper distance to the top of the overflow.
You can check to see if the overflow tube has a crack near the top.
I normally like to set the water about 1/2" down from the top. The overflow tube is not very tall, so there are other flappers that let more water drop if the one you have won't adjust better to empty the bowl during a flush.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your lever arm, which lifts the chain, does not lift nearly straight up. Since your chain is slack, that is not causing this problem.

However if this toilet sometimes need plunging, I suggest you consider a new toilet. The new ones flush better. So rather than getting more invested in this toilet, maybe it is time to upgrade.

Crestone

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for your replies. The overflow tube is short but I have the same toilet in my other bedroom bathroom with the same length of overflow tube, same flapper, same everything. And, when that toilet fills with water, the water level stops right at the lip of the overflow tube and stays there...it does not drop to about an inch below the lip of the overflow tube. Also, the toilet of mine in the bedroom will flush, every time, on the first flush. I do not have to ever plunge the toilet in question and the refill tube does not extend into the overflow tube.

Terry, I do not see any noticeable crack in the overflow tube nor feel any. Also, my flapper does not have the adjustment lines shown on the Fluidmaster 502 flapper. Can I adjust mine as you suggest?

Thanks again all...other thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, the toilet of mine in the bedroom will flush, every time, on the first flush. I do not have to ever plunge the toilet in question and the refill tube does not extend into the overflow tube.
OK. It passed the important test.

Unusual but sometimes the overflow tube has a crack in the top inch. Waterproof tape could fix that.

Another possibility is that your clip is letting water climb. See https://terrylove.com/forums/ind...-review-and-pictures.55843/page-7#post-423736 post 130, and maybe others. The capillary climbing action was not a whole inch, however, but we are into unusual symptoms with your toilet.

I wonder if a Nuflush overflow tube extension could help, or maybe you could rig up something yourself.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks