Leaking Toilet Tank Bolt

Users who are viewing this thread

Heallytim

Reaction score
One of my toilet bolts is leaking water on the floor every week or two. Do I tighten it gently? I don’t want to crack it. If that doesn’t work, do I add a washer? Or should I just go ahead and add a washer before I tighten ? Thanks

40C68EA4-7CC0-4CD2-AB8D-22B764231BCA.jpeg
28C6C611-3A8F-4197-898F-CFB9AD964FA2.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It depends on the tank bolts. Some tank bolts are double nutted. One set of nuts create the seal but are concealed between the tank and the bowl and the second set that you see are to hold the tank to the bowl.

If your tank is making full contact to the bowl then further tightening is not likely going to fix the problem. If it isn't making contact then I would do as John mentions and add downward pressure to the tank and snug up the nut...

If that doesn't fix it then buy a good solid brass replacement bolt kit and redo it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks