Leaking threads ...

Users who are viewing this thread

jackr

Reaction score
I'm installing a whole house filter using 3/4" Proline connectors with threads going into the filter. I initially used Teflon tape on the threads but it leaked so I re-installed using Rectorseal T-2 and it still leaked! I'm wondering if either the connector or the filter housing has faulty threads. I'm tightening using a 12" wrench going as tight as I can. Maybe I need more muscle? Anyone have problems with the Proline products or a Whilpool water filter?

Thanks
Jack

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might have cracked the housing...most plumbing fittings are tapered, and if the housing is plastic, you can damage it. If it has straight thread, it would seal by compressing the gasket at the end, and using a tapered pipe thread fitting won't seal, or will have trouble doing so.

Try both tape and pipe dope, but if it is plastic, make sure it is plastic safe, not all are.

Take a close look at the fitting and see if the threads are smooth, or look torn. Some of the cheaper ones can end up with really lousy threads that can include chips from a dull die or be undersized, and bottom out before they make a proper seal.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
" I initially used Teflon tape on the threads but it leaked "

- How many times around?

There are a couple of ways that I use.
This one will be good for you if you have copper main: Install one or two copper unions, with short copper pipes and copper male adapters into the filter housing. I use tape only, I don't like dope or others in this situation. I do all the soldering off the housing, and install them when they are cool. You install the short pipes w/the male adapters ONCE and don't remove them to change filters. Then attach to the union(s). Tighten with two wrenches.
If you have a leak, you probably damaged the housing thread already.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks