Leaking screwdriver stop in shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgeist

Reaction score
I recently installed an American Standard "Flash" shower rough-in valve with screwdriver stops. There was a TINY amount of leakage on the cold side that would drip once every minute or so. The day before my tile crew is set to arrive, I fiddled with it to try to get it to stop completely so things would be nice and dry for their work. Now I can't get it to go lower than a slow "drizzle". I'm concerned that I'll have to shut off water to the house to allow the tile work to be done (which is a bad thing with two adults telecommuting and two school-age kids distance learning).

These stops seem like simple quarter-turn cylinder valves, but I've never worked on them before. Are they replaceable stock item I should be able to source at my local plumbing supply? American Standard may be helpful but I've not been able to get through to customer service thus far.

Thanks
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Verify parts available at local plumbing supply . I've never serviced the stops nN luck on line with A. S. web site? btw fix leak before tiling it you may need to replace valve

Dgeist

Reaction score
I was able to get a hold of AS. They identified that the part is m970451-0070a and it's serviceable with the tile installed (just with access via the fixture ring). They're sending me one under warranty. It'll take a few weeks but hopefully solves the problem.

Dan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have not seen these yet.

flash-valve-cartridge-diagram.jpg

flash-ru101ss-3d.jpg

flash-parts-with-stops.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's good I think I actually just put one of those in few weeks ago. Owner provided didn't really check it out . No problems, seemed good

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks