Leaking PVC waste pipe in Basement

Users who are viewing this thread

ItGeekOut

Reaction score
Hi

I just moved into a house and the waste pipe has a small leak. It appears someone tried to repair it with Silicon but obviously doesn't stick very well to PVC so it is leaking again. Normally I would just cutout pvc since it is not pressurized use a rubber coupler to replace leaking joint. However I'm not sure if that is the tool for this job as it is leaking right after an Elbow and the Elbow has a coupling for the pipe below it. Also since this is a vertical pipe will it possibly sag if I put rubber coupler in there. I guess I could make sure pipes above are attached somehow.

Thanks for any advice on best way to handle this. Pictures Below.
InkedIMG_20170629_170111_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_20170629_170058_LI.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if they forgot to glue that joint. Since they did not use purple primer, it might have been easy for them to forget whether they had primed. I might consider this:

Take a small section out of the pipe below. See if you can pull that leaky pipe out. If you can, glue in a new piece, and patch between the two pieces with another piece of pipe and two banded couplers.

mission_bandseal.jpg

If the pipe does not come out with pulling etc, get a RamBit. Cut out the inside of the fitting. Put in new pipe and use two banded couplings.

Make sure the pipes are supported above before cutting.

I am not a plumber.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the question, you mentioned using a rubber coupling. Please note that the coupling you describe is not allowed in above ground applications. If you do go this route, then the coupling you should use is a band coupling. This has bands over the entire length of the sleeve, not just the ends. Replacement would be my suggestion as patching a leak in a PVC joint is usually not too successful and will take almost as much time as replacing. Well, that may be a bit over stated.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd need to see what is above the wye to give advice on the best way to handle that situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks