Leaking portable water expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Saint7

Reaction score
Hello, I have a portable water expansion tank, and it is leaking at the blue tip. I’m assuming it’s done for good due to corrosion. However, I don't know what to do other than to use the main water shut-off valve to stop it from leaking drastically.

It has two valves connected on top of the water heater, one is yellow on the right side (“water heater shut off”), and the other one is red on the left side. When I turn the “water heater shut off” valve off, the leak decreases compared to when it is on. However, the expansion tank gets really hot, or hotter than usual.

I turned the red when off for a short period, and the leak started to decrease some more (this was when I turned both of them off,) but I turned it back on because I don't what it does. I believe the pipe of the red valve is hot due to it being the hot water pipe, and the other one being the cold water pipe, but I'm not sure.

I’m just looking for advice until I get a new expansion tank and maybe a new water heater, if necessary.
water expansion tank.jpeg

red valve.jpeg

water heater shut off valve.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
turn off heater , close both valves is the correct way and safe way to address

Cliffyk

Reaction score
"Potable" water--I.e. fit to drink.

Is the "blue" valve a Schraeder type tank air precharge fitting? It may just be that the valve insert is weeping...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
it takes like 30 seconds to find out . close valve find out its quicker than me looking at your picture. also yoiu can remove the tank and plug but dont use water heater

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gas water heater down to pilot, water off. Open something up to relieve pressure. and spin on a new tank. Three wraps of tape, and it would also be nice to smear some pipe dope over the tape.
Good to see you Terry!

Saint7

Reaction score
Gas water heater down to pilot, water off. Open something up to relieve pressure. and spin on a new tank. Three wraps of tape, and it would also be nice to smear some pipe dope over the tape.
Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks