Leaking Hand Hose for Grohe Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

David Fitzpatrick

Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone can help me with this. I have a Grohe shower system with a overhead shower head and a handheld shower head. The handheld shower hose started leaking right where it connects into the shower fixture. I took it off and tried switching the gasket with another Grohe handheld shower I have in the basement. The gasket was not the issue. So now I'm trying to figure out what the problem is...

I noticed that in the leaking hand shower hose, there is a white plastic insert that is loose and easily slides out of the metal fitting. On the non-leaking hand shower hose, this white piece is firmly attached (glued?) into the metal fitting. Attaching a photo for reference. It seems this is about where the water is coming from too. Do you think this could be culprit and would some strong glue potentially solve this issue?

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG-0598.jpg
    IMG-0598.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,575

Reach4

Reaction score
How about leaving the white plastic out, and maybe using a thicker washer if you need it for spacing? Is that white plastic maybe a flow limiter?

Another idea would be to put a second washer between the white plastic and the metal.

Last edited:

David Fitzpatrick

Reaction score
OK I will give it a shot and see. It could be a flow limiter, it does reduce the width of the hose, but it looks different from the flow limiters on my faucets.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes the hoses develop internal leaks. You may need to order a new one.
If the leak is past the end rubber washers, that's a problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I had that happen, and, at least on mine, it was easy to fix!

There's a plastic hose inside of the metal covering...the plastic piece MUST insert into the plastic hose. If you just try to insert it into the metal covering, it will leak. On mine, I was able to slide the metal covering back enough to expose the plastic, and then insert the fitting to it, then reassemble.

David Fitzpatrick

Reaction score
I had that happen, and, at least on mine, it was easy to fix!

There's a plastic hose inside of the metal covering...the plastic piece MUST insert into the plastic hose. If you just try to insert it into the metal covering, it will leak. On mine, I was able to slide the metal covering back enough to expose the plastic, and then insert the fitting to it, then reassemble.
Now I'm curious if that would have fixed it - what your saying sort of makes sense based on the way the end of the hose felt. Anyways, I ended finding one for sale for a good price so I purchased it and replaced it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, when it happened, I bought a new one, but then I really looked at the old one and figured out how to fix it. Part of my problem was I have a 6' tub/shower, and the original hose was a bit short...the replacement was longer, but the old hose works, and I use it on occasion with a different handheld on it. The connection will last unless it is pulled on multiple times until it eventually pulls out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks