Leaking Grohe Grohtherm 1000 Temperature Control. New shower could be installed within a month. How should I fix this without throwing away $300?

Users who are viewing this thread

Narshe9999

Reaction score
Hello!
This installation is about 20 years old now, and this is the first problem I've had.
It leaks whether the shower is running or off.
It leaks whether the temperature control knob is turned hot, cold or in between.

It has been leaking for 2 weeks. And the leaking is getting a lot worse.
I've held off on the fix because I should have a whole new shower being installed, as I arranged with my bathroom company back in September.
However, they say it could be another month or two until the parts are in stock.
The leak was originally just cold water, but today, it has decided to become hot water... So I feel like I need to fix it now.

I believe it is the "1/2" Reversed Thermostatic Cartridge" that needs to be replaced (thanks to lurking your forum!)
However, the replacement part costs $300 CAD
(https://www.grohe.ca/Rough-Valve-Sp...-Thermostatic-Cartridge/GROHE-CHROME-47657000)

For a shower that could be replaced in a few weeks, that seems awfully expensive.

Is there a way I could fix it temporarily?
(I do not have dedicated shut off valves for this shower or bathroom. My wife would kill me if I asked her to turn on the main water valve each morning before she prepares for work)

Attachments

• instructions (1).jpg
    instructions (1).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 237
  • instructions (2).jpg
    instructions (2).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 208
  • instructions (3).jpg
    instructions (3).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 323

Narshe9999

Reaction score
Also, how do the integrated "stops" work?
They look like they have a threaded hole in the middle of a larger hex-nut body?
What would I need to do to these things to turn off the water?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The stops take a metric 8mm hex key. Get one. They each screw in to stop flow.
Grohe sort of has a lifetime warranty. It isn't really supported anymore, but you could call, especially if you had a receipt.
They sometimes do a 'one time' exception if you gently crank about the lifetime warranty.

Narshe9999

Reaction score
The stops take a metric 8mm hex key. Get one. They each screw in to stop flow.
Grohe sort of has a lifetime warranty. It isn't really supported anymore, but you could call, especially if you had a receipt.
They sometimes do a 'one time' exception if you gently crank about the lifetime warranty.
Hello Breplum, thank you for your response.

By 8mm Hex key, do you mean to say that an 8mm hex key can fit into these small holes, catch, rotate righty-tighty, and that will shut off the water?

Attachments

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 224

Narshe9999

Reaction score
My schematics paper seemed different from what I actually have in the wall, so I took a look around the internet and found this one... Which looks much more like what I have (also a Grohtherm 1000, but different?)

Does this appear to have water stop controls on it?

Attachments

• Z34328.jpg
    Z34328.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 245
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks