Leaking galvanized steel pipe in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

DM1111

Reaction score
Website
www.rawfoodsos.com
One of the galvanized steel pipes in the basement has been leaking whenever we run the washing machine (which is right next to the pipe) or use the kitchen sink (directly above this area, upstairs). The leak only appears to be in one spot, but it's bad enough so that when the washing machine runs, water spurts out faster than the floor drain can handle it -- leading to a standing puddle and wet floor by the time the clothes are done. The leak is also big enough to let out pieces of food from the sink and dish disposal.

In the pics, the leak is on the bottom side of the lower pipe running horizontally, about 10 inches to the left of the two vertical pipes. The house was built in 1947 but I'm not sure how old these pipes are. We had a problem with the main sewer line backing up a few months ago, but I'm not sure if that's in any way related to this.

What to do? Hoping to save money -- does this look like a DIY reasonably easy fix, or does the whole pipe need replacement? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 4-1.JPG
    photo 4-1.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 623
  • photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 546
  • photo 3-1.JPG
    photo 3-1.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 490

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you're seeing one of the prime reasons why galvanized piping is not such a great thing! Once you start to cut out things and replace, consider replacing as much as you can conveniently get to at the same time with probably PVC, or ABS, if that's more prevalent in your area. If they ran a snake through the pipe to clear the clog, it scraped off some of the accumulated rust, and opened things up, but that just exposes more pipe to the waste, and it rusts faster. Once this starts, more bits are likely to start leaking over the next bit of time.

Cut out enough so that you can replace a fair amount, and not have to do it again in the near future. Note, that the fittings for plastic pipe tend to be shaped differently, and an exact replacement won't pass code these days. WHile you're at it, the washing machine, per today's codes, requires a 2" pipe, and you can't go from 2" down to a 1.5" pipe, so that may dictate how much you have to tear apart.

To connect between different pipes, a banded coupler can be used - it's a rubber sleeve with a metal reinforcement band around it...those just made of rubber and hose clamps are NOT approved for above ground.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could tie a rag on either side of where you think the leak is to help identify if the leak is where you think it is or somewhere higher. Also tie a rag around the left hand vertical to detect if water is coming down the outside of that pipe.

wallbobby

Reaction score
If you have a sawzall with a metal cutting blade, this is a relatively fast fix. I'm in Portland too, you'll want to use ABS in our region. If you want the easiest thing, buy 2 2" banded couplers, a short length of 2" ABS (they sell them pre-cut in 2 foot lengths at home depot) slice the leaking pipe a few inches to the left of the leak, then about 4 inches to the left of the Tee, that should have taken out about 6 inches of pipe, including the part with the hole in it, then cut a piece of the ABS to match, slide one banded coupler all the way onto the left pipe and one on the right, put the abs in between and slip the couplers over that and tighten. Should be about $12.

DM1111

Reaction score
Website
www.rawfoodsos.com
Thank you all so much! Looks like I'll be using ABS (thanks for the region-specific tip, wallbobby) and following the advice given here. I'll try the rags idea too to make sure nothing is leaking higher up. I really appreciate the help. I'll be back on here if I somehow screw it up. ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks