Leaking Furnace Gas Valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lou N

Reaction score
All,

I occasionally smell natural gas around the inside of our furnace, sometimes after I lower the thermostat when the heat has been running, other times after the furnace hasn't been running at all. The gas company has been out to check it a couple of times w/o any luck. I did replace the supply line and I have checked the fittings with a soap solution.

The furnace valve is a Gemini Model 36G22Y, Goodman P/N B12826-28. Is it possible that this valve is not closing completely causing a minor leak?

Valve.jpg

The furnace seems to work fine other than this occasional smell. The gas company said they have not been doing any work or increased the supply pressure in the area.

I'll replace the valve if leaking is a possibility.

Thanks,
Lou

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
No harm in replacing the gas valve. I'm surprised that gas company could not find the source with their sniffers. If the leak is from the valve, the gas maybe going up the chimney due to drafting. Depending the air pressure inside the home (lower than the outside), or the direction of the wind, air maybe pulled into the home via the chimney and it is why the odor is occasional.

Lou N

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I did order a new valve, hopefully that will solve the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks