Leaking foot valve: replace or alternative?

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
Hi, I have:
  • 140ft deep well
  • 100ft black polypropylene hoses: 1" and 1.25" dia in the well
  • brass foot valve at end of hoses
  • 1HP jet pump (Gould Pump/AO Smith)
  • 33 gallon pressure tank (WWT35 Flexcon)
About 9 years ago, the pump was progressively having shorter time between cycles, turning on almost every 20min+/- even when no one was using the water. After isolating everything, I concluded that the foot valve must be leaking. We pulled the whole assembly out of the well and found the foot valve assembly heavily encrusted with rust (I have relatively high iron content, but not so high that it needs treatment), and obviously leaking water as it was discharging whatever was in the line while I had it pulled out. We replaced with a new foot valve, and it stopped the frequent cycling.
Until... I've begun to hear it again. It's now back to 24min between cycles without anyone using water, basically leaking 1+gpm down the well (assuming i didn't develop a new leak in the well line, etc).

Is there any way to add, maybe, another check valve in the line, near the pump, to somehow mitigate the losses at the foot valve? Or am I prohibited from introducing such a valve as it would interfere with the jet pump process (i.e. I'd lose the pump's prime, etc)? Trying to avoid: pulling all the hoses out again,... and looping them half way around the house, ... and buying a new foot valve, ...and chlorinating the well... etc.

Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With those 2 pipe jet systems the foot valve must be at the bottom or you will lose prime. Sorry! No easy fix. And plastic check valves won't last as long as the brass or Stainless. Usually check valves fail from slamming shut over and over as the pump cycles on and off. Using a Cycle Stop Valve on the pump makes the pump stop at 1 GPM instead of 10+ GPM, which means the check valve is barely open when the pump shuts off. This eliminates the slam on the check valve that is the most common mode of failure. Other than that a good metal, spring loaded, check valve is the best you can do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks