leaking faucet stem

Users who are viewing this thread

JerryR

Reaction score
Perhaps this picture will help you visualize how all is assembled.

Disassembling it will allow you to repack and rethread the packing nut on the bench.

Warning. Turn off house main first. Once you pull the stem you will be SOL if you cant get it back together.

Jerry

bib.JPG

Giwatcher

Reaction score
I found that my inside shutoff wouldn't close completely, so went to the outside utility co shut off--stuck like glue! The utility came and used a giant key for more leverage and unstuck it so it turns freely. As a result I decided to go for broke and replace the whole valve. Lucky for me no unforseen problems. With the old valve out I still can't thread the packing nut on without it slipping. Can't see a bad thread, but i guess it's there. Thanks to all who tried to help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It would have been a good time to replace your main shutoff as well...preferably with a nice ball valve. In many places, messing with the utility company's shutoff could get you a fine, especially if you broke it when trying to shut things on or off.

JerryR

Reaction score
It would have been a good time to replace your main shutoff as well...preferably with a nice ball valve. In many places, messing with the utility company's shutoff could get you a fine, especially if you broke it when trying to shut things on or off.

+1

There is nothing like a nice ball valve for main water shut off. We travel between two houses every week. Our routine includes shutting off water at house entrance any time we are gone overnight.

In addition to water main, we flip the circuit breaker for hot water heater, program HVAC, turn off icemaker and set alarm.

Jerry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks