Leaking Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

ryles

Reaction score
About a year ago we purchased a Toto Drake for our main level powder room. Since then we have been fighting a leak around the base. At first we thought it was the kids "missing". I've reset the toilet several times and finally had a plumber come in and do the job. He advised that if it still leaked we might have a crack in the bowl.

I marked the water level in the bowl. The water spot measures 9.25 x 7.25. Mfg spec is 10 x 8. After flushing the bowl fills to 10 x 8 but after 5-10 minutes it drops to the mark I put in the bowl.

Does this suggest a crack?

I also replaced the flange before the last time I reset the toilet.

Thanks,

Ryles

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It could be either a crack or a badly set toilet. With the shrinking water spot it may be a crack. I would pull the toilet and check it out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the water spot stable once it sits for awhile? If you take a level on the floor, is the floor level? The bowl is normally overfilled, and slowly seeks its own level once you stop adding water. If the floor isn't level, that can affect the final water level as more could flow over the weir (the outlet at the back). Where is the toilet flange in relation to the floor? Does the toilet move at all when you sit on it?

ryles

Reaction score
The floor is relatively level, but I haven't actually put a level on it.

The water spot is stable after the 5-10 minute drop down period.

The toilet does not wabble at all when you sit on it. Very stable.

The plumber that set it the last time is very reputable and I trust his knowledge and abilities.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it gets used a lot, and is not a conditioned space, it could be condensation on the tank dripping down. ON typical toilets, they don't get flushed really frequently, so the water that stays in the tank moderates the incoming cold water and (often) keeps it above the dew point. Take your hand and see if the tank bottom or back is damp from condensation and if the tank feels cold. Also, make sure that the refill hose is sitting above the overflow tube and not pushed down it. If it isn't high, it can siphon out water causing the toilet to periodically have to run to refill, which will drop the water temp and could allow condensation. If you turn the water supply off, does the tank level change?

Where does the moisture appear? and is it visible as a pool, or what?

SamC

Reaction score
Check the level of the bowl front-to-back. If the bowl is higher in front than in back, the water in the bowl will slowly drain over the peak in the trapway to a lower than designed level. That would still not rule out a crack.

ryles

Reaction score
The powder room is on our main level and thus is in a conditioned space so I don't think it's condensation.

The water appears all around the base of the toilet and it does pool up. We have to mop it up with paper towels or a regular towel pretty much daily. This isn't a few drops, etc. like condensation would create.

Toto is sending a replacement bowl so they seem to think it's a crack.

I'll post results after I pull it and reset the new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks