Leaking brass slipnut at shower drain pipe, waste t connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Mo Green

Reaction score
upload_2020-4-21_20-21-56.jpeg

I had a slow drip leak at this connection, which is downstream from bathtub drain shoe. I removed the slip nut. Thin rubber washer was corroded, and broken. Some pipe dope was present also. I bought a new washer, but I can’t install it as drain pipe end is inside waste t connection. Is my only option to remove drain shoe on the other end so I can replace washer?

Reach4

Reaction score
Not normally done, but I would try wrapping valve stem packing / packing cord around the pipe, and squishing that with the nut. I would use quite a bit. The common size is 3/32, so you would need lots of turns, I would think.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Lampwick (AKA ball wick) works (Not quick wick) Spool wick

A few strands of Lamp wick ( Ball wick ) with pipe joint compound and it will not leak for over 30 years

Just place a few strands behind the existing washer NO Need to remove the nut just loosen it up enough to place the packing under it

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ball-Wick-Spool-Wick-714000

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks