Leaking around new Delta drain assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

MTy

Reaction score
Installed the linked Delta faucet and drain assembly.

https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/559LF-GPM-MPU.html#undefined

The drain assembly has 3 main parts. The flange, mid piece that screws into the flange, and tail piece. When testing I first noticed a leak between rubber and sink bottom. Tightened more, no leak there.

Then noticed a leak between mid section and tail piece. I used Teflon per instructions. Tried pipe dope and leak stopped.

Then I noticed a leak around the threads under the rubber. I know it's running down the threads behind the tightening nut. Solution? Maybe pipe dope on the threads? Or silicone on the rubber to the sink? But no really sure either of those will really work.

FWIW I used plumber's putty instead of silicone around the flange. Doubt that's the problem though.

559LF-GPM-MPU-B1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Using putty under a sink flange is always hit or miss, if you twist the flange while tightening the nut underneath you break the putty seal, If you put too much putty under the flange it will leak, if you don't put enough putty it will leak. If the drain came with a rubber gasket that goes in the sink I would try that first, if that doesn't work then reset the flange with new putty.

I have never used silicone under a flange but I think others have.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water leaking down the threads and bypassing the rubber donut at the bottom.
I've used putty on those threads and I've used pipe dope. Some use tape on those threads or Silicone.
We don't typically put anything on the lower donut. The threads are the little suckers causing us grief.

delta-pop-up-drain-installation-1.jpg

Under the flange, if they supply a foam washer, I use that. If not putty or sometimes Silicone. I carry both oil free putty and putty with oil depending on what the bowl is made off.

For the tailpiece, either tape or dope. I'm not picky about that.

In a perfect world, the threading on the main part don't let water work their way down past the rubber donut. I'm not that optimistic though. I've been burned too many times before. I have my faucet install down pat.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks