Leaking after15 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Blackman

Reaction score
This setup has been great for 15 years. I did replace the pump about 5 years. So now all of a sudden the close nipple is leaking at the house input side (left side of pic).

I'm fighting several issues with this….
Getting a new nipple/tee in without dismantling a bunch of stuff; which might disturb others
Galvanized used back in 2005? Brass preferred now?
So. I'm stuck. thoughts
Not sure how to get that nipple/tee out
Call a plumber
Rebuild from scratch in brass
Also. If I drain the pipes. What about air pressure in tank??

also, no drain valve or pressure relief valve. Does this look like a clean install? I don’t see it

62CB14B7-DCAB-4B13-A826-51544E965471.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Is it true that.
  • You have a sand point well?
  • You have a water meter for some reason, and you don't have city water?
  • Leak is between the blue-handled valve and the tee?
Also. If I drain the pipes. What about air pressure in tank??
Air is captive. You should check the air precharge before putting this back into service

Rebuild from scratch in brass
and/or PEX, I would think.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think some kind of flexible connector is best hooked to a pump like this. 15 years is pretty good for a connection that has been vibrating intermittently for that long.

You can use any material you want. Pex is easy but looks sloppy most times. Galvanized is cheap and easy that's probably why they used it. Cooper or brass is great. But use a flexible connector.

You should have a bladder that separates the water from the air. Draining the water shouldn't effect the tank. If there's no bladder you'd just need to pre charge it with air when you go to turn the water back on.

Scott Blackman

Reaction score
Shared well with neighbor. That is why we have a meter. This is a local pump as the well is 600’ away and my pressure activates both. Not sure about standpoint well.
The leak is between the blue valve and the Tee. I believe it’s on the Tee side.
Yeah. I figured it was time for things to start breaking down. I may just rebuild the entire setup in brass. PEX would separate the motor and help. Only want to do this one time.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah I don't see anyway to replace that tee without cutting something. If you are upgrading, now would be a good time to switch to strong constant pressure and save a lot of space by replacing that tank with a PK1A kit and a 10 gallon size pressure tank. The 10 gallon size tank is all that is needed with a couple of houses on the same pump system. You and your neighbor will love the constant pressure as it will be so much stronger you will no longer even need soap in the shower. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks