Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

krider

Reaction score
We've got a small leak in our feed line from the water heater to the furnace. It drips about a drip an hour and worries me. Attached are some photos.

Is there a way to fix this without draining the heating system? It being winter here I'm too keen on doing that. The feed can easily be shut off, but the furnace side I'm not sure about.

Attachments

• IMG_0883b.JPG
    IMG_0883b.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_0884b.JPG
    IMG_0884b.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_0885b.JPG
    IMG_0885b.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 468

krider

Reaction score
It doesn't look like there is. There's a valve on the return, but this line with the leak also looks to go directly into the furnace.

:(

Is there a recommended temporary way of patching this type of leak? A friend suggested duct tape but that doesn't seem too sturdy. How likely are these types of leaks to burst? Is it safe (for the system) to turn off the feed line?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It doesn't look like there is. There's a valve on the return, but this line with the leak also looks to go directly into the furnace.

:(

Is there a recommended temporary way of patching this type of leak? A friend suggested duct tape but that doesn't seem too sturdy. How likely are these types of leaks to burst? Is it safe (for the system) to turn off the feed line?

A leak right on a fitting like that is a tough one to repair. If it was on a straight piece of pipe you could use a rubber repair coupling. If you try cleaning the fitting up you might just make the leak worse.

If I were you and in your situation I would just put a bucket under it and check on it periodically. It shouldn't get signifigantly worse at one time. It will slowly get worse and worse and at a slow rate. Heck sometimes the water build up will even seal the leak off.

In the spring when you don't need heat shut it down and repair it properly.

That's what I would do anyway.

krider

Reaction score
The water seems to be dripping not from the fitting, but from the center of the straight pipe (I know it's tough to see in the pictures, but there are 2 main spots of corrosion). Not to say that the fitting isn't corroded and possibly has issues too. So perhaps I could put a rubber repair on the straight part that the water is coming from. So do you still think it would be best to let it be...?

We already had 1 leak in our basement and the wife is hot on my butt about any more water!:eek:

I appreciate you help!

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The water seems to be dripping not from the fitting, but from the center of the straight pipe (I know it's tough to see in the pictures, but there are 2 main spots of corrosion). Not to say that the fitting isn't corroded and possibly has issues too. So perhaps I could put a rubber repair on the straight part that the water is coming from. So do you still think it would be best to let it be...?

We already had 1 leak in our basement and the wife is hot on my butt about any more water!:eek:

I appreciate you help!

You could try and put one on but again once you clean the pipe up you might make the leak worse.

I would probably still put a bucket under it and fix it in the spring. *shrugs*

CtSebby

Reaction score
I did see this copper pipe repair in the plumbing section of home dep.ot. It looks like a sillyputty type of material. Never tried it though. But as a temporary fix it might do.

Msgale

Reaction score
no glue/sticky arrangement can work, since the water is under pressure and will remove the glue as it leaks out.

what's wrong with the bucket approach till spring,then you emptythe pipe and fix it at your leisure

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Spring, summer, fall, winter, what does it matter? Drain it down and fix it. No matter when you do it, it should only take about an hour tops.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks